Give her a chance

When she was sure I closed the door, Sarah walked away towards the twins' car. The engine was now roaring with anticipation. However, she stood in front of the car and politely asked Bill to come out and for Tom to wait. Neither of the twins could tell what she expected from them. When Bill came out and went in front of her, she slapped him.

"Ow! What the hell?" he exclaimed and glared at her with a hand on his cheek.

"That is for what you did to my best friend." Sarah replied coldly.

Bill looked at her, flabbergasted. Neither of their voices could be heard through the roaring sound of the engine, until Tom turned it off.

"Again, what the hell? I mean, we heard it all. You still love the guy who cheated on you, but I get a slap even though I didn't do anything bad?"

"Yes! Because you are an idiot!" Sarah shouted. "She is honest, she's fun, she's clever, she's madly in love with you. What more do you want from her?"

Bill paused, still glaring at her.

"My love life is none of your business."

"Oh, I see." Sarah said and sneered. "I remember. You're the romantic one of the band. You keep repeating that in every interview in every magazine: you're looking for the one, your soul mate. That's why you've been single for eight years. So tell me, how's it going so far? Do you feel like you're going insane yet?"

"Just because you read articles about me now and then doesn't mean you know me at all. So please, just shut up and let us go." Bill answered sharply.

"Well, at least, let me tell you from my experience." Sarah went on. "Mike was not the first. I dated many boys before. And I can tell you: what you're looking for doesn't exist. It's bullshit, okay? The only one you should love is the one who is there for you here and now. That's what I learned for sure."

As Tom hesitated to come out of the car, Bill kept listening quietly. He knew that as long as Sarah hadn't said it all, she wouldn't move away.

"You even wrote a song about it, for crying out loud!"

"I know." Bill replied. "I never said I don't agree with you."

"Then what? What is it?"

He sighed.

"I'm just not in love with her." he said in a sad tone. "You're happy? Can you let me go now?"

"But-" Sarah tried to insist.

When Tom finally went out of the car and sided with his brother, my best friend finally stepped back. However, before they sat and closed their doors, she tapped on Bill's window one last time. He opened it and she looked at him, helpless.

"Just give her a chance." she asked in a soft voice. "Just one. Please. After all that crap she's been through, she deserves it, don't you think?"

"I can't now." he replied. "We'll be leaving for Europe in a couple days. I'm sorry."

He then closed the window, and Sarah, disappointed, watched them drive away in the night.