chapter one

About three things I was certain. First, Draco Malfoy was a Death Eater. Second, there was a part of him- and I didn't know how large, that still cared. And third, I was completely and utterly falling in love with him.

1 year earlier
I was terribly excited to start my fifth year at Hogwarts. I had a strong feeling that this year would be it. This year would be the best year so far. I had spent the summer moving around foster homes and I was ready to go back to my real home- Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. I didn't have many close friends at Hogwarts, probably because I was shy around people I didn't know. When my first letter from Hogwarts arrived I was shocked, I grew up in the muggle world because I didn't know who my true parents were, now I'm certain they were wizards. In my first year I was sorted into Gryffindor, when the sorting hat yelled that out I was so perplexed. I couldn't understand why me, the shy, quiet girl was in the same house as the great Harry Potter. I had only spoken to Harry a few times so I was in no place to judge his character but he seemed like a nice boy.

I crammed the last of my clothes into my trunk and dragged it down the staircase. Maria was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. She was my foster mother for the time being, when I told her I was a witch she was a little bit taken a back since I had only known her for a few days before I told her. I let her in on my secret because she was one of the few foster parents that i've had who I actually like. Maria grabbed the other end of my trunk and let out a huff. "Jesus Christ girl! What did you even put in here" I gave her a half smile and answered "everything" she laughed and helped me carry the trunk into the car.

The journey to Kings Cross was a quick one. There were very few cars on the road. When we arrived I made my way over to the wall between platform 9 and 10. "I best leave you here" Maria whispered to me. I pulled her into a tight hug and we both knew it was probably the last. I didn't stay with foster families long and certainly not longer than a year. "Goodbye" I said as we pulled apart "do great things girl" she stared into my green eyes. I nodded and make my way to platform 9 3/4 .

I heaved my trunk onto the train and made my way into one of the empty compartments. Unfortunately, there were no empty ones so I ended up asking to sit with Luna Lovegood. She was an odd girl, I must say but she didn't talk to me which I was grateful for. Just as we were about to head off three other people opened the door. It was Neville Longbottom, Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter. "Do you mind Luna?"
Ginny says.

"Not at all" she responded shuffling up closer to the window. I mirrored her, moving closer to the other side. The train started to leave the station and kids were waving at their parents- I longed for that. "How was your summer Lyra?" Neville asked, taking a seat next to Luna. "Alright thanks. You?" I replied "It was okay. How about you Harry"

"Not the greatest" he takes a seat next to me. "No one believes me and the papers are attacking Dumbledore" he sighed. I sat in confusion and then I realised what he meant. "Do you mean about Voldemort?" I question. Everyone looks at me probably because I said his name also probably because I didn't talk all that much. He looks me in the eye and nods. "Well that's just bloody stupid! what reason do they have not to believe you?" Ginny huffed out. "Fear" he answered.

We were almost silent for the rest of the journey. I stepped out the train, grateful to see the majestic building standing in the distance. Home- my home. Hogwarts. I walked with the others to get to the building.

I took my seat next to Parvati at the Gryffindor table. "How was your holiday" she pulls me into a hug. I smile at her "Good thanks. How was yours?" we talked for a while before Dumbledore interrupted with his annual spiel. I picked at the roasted potatoes on my plate. I wasn't very hungry, especially when Dumbledore introduced our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. "She looks like a toad" Parvati whispered to me and I grinned. The little woman was standing up there all dressed in pink, not to mention that she interrupted Dumbledore. She makes a short speech about being part of the ministry which i didn't pay much attention to. We finished our dinner catching up with what everyone had done over the summer.

I stumbled back to the common room behind Parvati. We arrive a little after Harry Potter and his friends. "Don't you talk about my mother like that!" Seamus stared down Harry as the rest of Gryffindor watched. Parvati and I stood in the door way joining the onlookers. "I'll have a go at anyone who calls me a liar!" Ron steps in front of  Harry defending him but it was to late Seamus has already ruined the evening. I went up to my dorm which I shared with Parvati an Lavender. Lavender was the type of person who could talk about herself for hours and tonight was one night that she had a lot to talk about.

The next mourning we had potions with the Slytherins, I absolutely dreaded it. I hated that Draco Malfoy and his little posey of course- they never actually spoke to me but the way they acted as thought they were superior just got under my nerves. I took my seat next to Parvati and glanced over at the Slytherin table. To my surprise Draco Malfoy was starring at me. I met his gaze and his eyes swiftly flittered away. "Miss Edwards could you please tell us what you remember from last years class?" Snape snapped. I wasn't prepared- I didn't even realised that he walked in. I stutter and my eyes wandered to the snickering Slytherins. "I- I can't remember sir" I looked down. "Well that isn't very good is it Miss Edwards... I thought I taught you better- detention tomorrow morning before school" I was shocked, that was a ridiculous punishment for not answering a question. "And ten points from Gryffindor as well!" The Gryffindors rolled their eyes at me and I looked down. I gave up on paying attention for the rest of the lesson.

Potions had put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Throw in the fact that Mcgonagall set us three pieces worth of parchment due next week and I was having a terrible day. I woke up bright and early to meet Snape and do my detention. I wondered what I would have to do, it could be that bad since it's only the second day back. I was a few minutes early to the Potions classroom and I took a seat in front of the outside of the classroom. I glanced up and my heart plummeted as I saw that Draco Malfoy was walking towards me. I preyed that he would walk past, but luck was not on my side as he stopped about a meter away from me.

———————————————————————————
A/N
Hi guys i hope you enjoyed the first chapter. It was a short one bc i wasn't sure how long to make it. Hopefully someone actually reads this and didn't just waste my time. Feel free to leave suggestions and don't worry there will me a lot more Draco scenes haha. Sorry about the twilight reference i had too.

Mibby xx