chapter eighteen

Over the summer I stayed with Remus and Tonks. Despite being checked on by one of them almost every hour, it was the loneliest I had every felt. I had written to Draco three times and I had no response.

~~~~~~~~

Dear Draco,

I know you have every right to hate me. I found out about being a Potter during one of our detentions, remember when I had to go to Dumbledore's office?

The reason I didn't tell you was because I was instructed not to tell anyone. I know I should have told you but with your Dad being a Death Eater....

Truth be told, I need you. I need you now more than I ever did before. It feels like I've lost everything. It feels like I've lost you.

Please write back, even if it's to tell me that you hate me.

Your Lyra.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Draco,

You didn't write back. No one is writing back these days, not even Harry. Sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned him. I just want to hear your voice in real life, not just in my head.

I've started having panic attacks now. Remembering your voice is the only thing that calms me down. The thing is, it's getting more and more quiet.

I miss you. Please talk to me.

From,

Lyra.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco,

I know you're ignoring me now. I guess I'm probably bothering you now. I know I need to find someone else to vent to. I tried talking to Remus but I don't think that he's over Sirius' death yet either. They were best friends once you know.

My panic attacks are getting worse now. I can't hear you anymore. Voldemort is out of my head but all I see is death. It's probably a good thing you've forgotten me, everyone who cares about me seems to go through so much. Of course, I don't know if you ever cared about me.

If you did care you would have written back.

Lyra.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat on my mattress, looking out the window. I had been staying in the attic because it was the only spare room Remus had.

Then Remus burst into the room. "I'm taking you to the Weasley's" he said. I turned around to face him. "Why?"

"Why? Because you haven't spoken to anyone your age since it happened." He was referring to Sirius' death. "And Dumbledore wants you there" he finished.

I grabbed my trunk full of clothes that I hadn't bothered to unpack. Remus held out his hand and I took it. I felt last nights dinner jump up my throat as we lurched forward. Next thing I knew, we were at the burrow.

"Apparating, you'll learn to do it soon."

I stumbled foreword and saw the house. It was leaning up by a few wooden pillars. It was magical. I knocked on the front door.

As soon she opened it Hermione threw her arms around me. Following her came Ron who also wrapped his arms around me. After I managed to wrangle them off I saw Harry. He took a small step towards me and pulled my into a gentle hug. It was as if he knew that I could easily be broken.

"Lyra's here" called Ron as the twins came stomping down the stairs. Fred was the first one to engulf me followed by George. "Holding up alright Lyra?" they asked. I nodded but I was lying, I was not alright.

I was greeted by the rest of the Weasleys and Remus gave me a small smile before he left.

~~~~~~~~
Harry, Hermione, Ron and I all sat around a burning ball of paper to keep us warm. "When did you get here" I asked Harry and Hermione. "A few days ago" Harry said and Hermione nodded.

"Mum sort of lost it last week, said Ginny and I had no business going back to Hogwarts. That it's to dangerous" Ron mumbled. "Oh come on," Harry moaned.

"She's not alone. My parents are muggles and even they know somethings wrong" Hermione interrupted. "There's been a lot of talk recently that Dumbledore's got a bit old" Hermione told us.

"Rubbish he's only...  what?"

"On hundred and fifty, give or take a few years" We all laughed. Then I noticed a face on the paper. My face dropped and my mouth started open but no words came out. "W-What happened to the Death Eaters. That night." I stuttered.

"Lucius got sent to Azkaban, didn't you hear?" Hermione said. "I think it's an absolute win. Malfoy finally got a taste of his own medicine" Ron sniggered. Poor Draco, was all I could think. I stood up quickly and muttered "I'm going to bed".

~~~~~~~~~~

The next day we wet and visited Fred and George's joke shop. It was incredible to see what their ideas had become, from mini shops in the common room to a full store. The shop reminded me of what I used to think magic was. Good magic.

After we left we started to take a walk down the ally. "How are Fred and George doing it? Half the ally's closed down" Hermione questioned. "Fred reckons people need a laugh these days" Ron answered.

"I reckon he's right" I said, trailing a little behind them. "Oh no, everyone got their wands from Ollivanders"  Hermione pushed open the door to the wand shop. The shop's windows were smashed and torn up bits of paper were scattered along the floor.

"Harry, is it me or does Draco and Mummy look like two people who don't want to be followed" Ron peered out the window. I moved closer and I could see the faint outline of the boy with place blonde hair and silver eyes.

His hair was neater than last year and he wore a slick black suit. How much I wished that I could go and see him, that I could ask him if he got my letters. Harry grabbed us and led us down a dark alleyway. In the distance I could see Borgin and Burkes. 

"No" I whispered as I saw a troop of Death Eaters follow him inside. Harry told us to get on the roof and through the glass I saw him. He was standing next to a cabinet and his hand was running alone the side. He had a beautiful silver ring on his left hand and I couldn't stop staring.

"Lyra promise me you'll avoid him this year" Harry told me as we climbed down.

I couldn't promise that and he knew it. I didn't care if Draco was a Death Eater. I just wanted him back.