chapter thirteen

Lyra's POV

"Harry you have to talk to her eventually" Hermione nudged Harry. Ron and Harry still weren't talking to me, and they didn't even know that I had forgiven Draco.

Hermione realized that it was unrealistic to ignore me forever. She told me that she would never understand why I don't hate him but she wasn't going to judge me for it.

"Why? Hermione, it's Malfoy. Don't you remember the past five years?! She's not one of us if she's friends with him" groans Ron. Hermione rolls her eyes at Ron, not bothering to put up a fight.

Hermione was staring behind me and I slowly spun around to see Draco sniggering behind us. "Weasley, How dare you mention my name" spat Draco, giving me a secret wink. Ron's eyes shot open and he turned to meet Draco's menacing face.

"Edwards" he nodded, signaling for me to come with him. "I'll see you guys around" I smiled as I stood up, Harry let out a exasperated sigh and muttered something that I didn't catch under his breath.

"You don't have to be so mean all the time" I scowled at him. He only laughed and responded with "It was Potter and Weasel-bee, what do expect?"

He took me to our spot, in the Astronomy Tower. "You should probably pretend to hate me from now on" he looked down, guiltily knowing that talking to me in front of Harry and Ron wasn't going to help.

"Why?" My voice broke and he smirked. I tried to ignore him and repeated myself "Why?"

"I can't be seen associating myself with your lot." He thought that he was so superior, it annoyed the shit out of me. "Is that all you asked me here for?" I said, starting to make my way to the door.

He caught my arm, sensing that I was upset. "It's best for both of us. I'm just trying to protect you."

"Yeah, well I don't need protecting!" He jumped at my raised tone. "Lyra, stay. You're the only one who understands me."

"See you in detention." I slammed the door as loudly as possible behind me.

~~~~~~~~~

"Mr. Malfoy, Miss. Edwards. It has been a while" Professor Snape hissed. I crossed my arms over my chest, dreading the next hour.

"Although, I believe it would be punishment enough just for you two to spend the next hour with each other" he looked between Draco and I.  "You may write an essay on how to properly brew the Strengthening Solution since you missed most of my class on it."

I sighed as Snape stormed out of the room. I sat down at one of the tables and opened up my textbook.

"Are you going to speak to me?" He asked, moshing his books over to me and sitting in a seat across the table.

I don't bother responding and that was enough of an answer. He sighed and started to scribble down something on his price of parchment.

I had no idea about what to write, the textbook made no sense at all. After a while I decided to give up and just sit there quietly.

Draco looked over at me and smirked. I glared right back at him. "You don't know anything about this do you?"

A lump formed in the back of my throat but I still didn't respond.

"What to copy mine?" he offered. No. I certainly did not want to copy his, besides it was probably wrong anyway.

Another side of my brain was telling me that if I didn't write at least something I would be back here tomorrow.

"Fine." I begrudgingly agreed and I scooted over to him. He let out a chuckle and moved his paper between us.

Surprisingly, he had actually written a significant amount. "You actually did work? Since when did you care about school?" I asked quietly.

"Well I'll have you know that I actually enjoy potions" he informed me. I looked away and laughed to myself. There was no way that Draco Malfoy actually cared about anything.

"You miss me" Draco smirked. "And what made you come to that conclusion?" I raised an eyebrow.

"The way you look at me, it's the same way Weasel-bee looks at food." I rolled my eyes at him and continued to copy his essay.

"You need me and I - I need you" his tone because more serious and he shuffled in his chair. "What makes you think I need you?"

"You've been miserable ever since we had that argument" he says, "I've been miserable ever since I met you."

He laughed and shuffled even closer to me "we both know that's not true" he whispered in my ear.

I flinched as he tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ear. "You finished?" he asked, looking down at the parchment.

I swallowed and nodded "thanks."

"When we leave this room, don't talk to me unless I talk to you first" he told me. "How come you get to talk first?" I asked him.

"Because I was the first one to talk last time in detention" my mind snapped back to the first time we were in this room.

Although it's only been a few months since we were there but it feels like it's been years. I used to see this boy as someone who would cause my problems, now I see him as some who I can talk through my problems with.

I used to think that he was a horrible person who made everyone else's lives dreadful. Now I know that he isn't a horrible person and his life is just as bad as everyone else.

——————————————————————————