The Throne Room

"Have you heard anything about Lady?" Sansa looks up as Ned sits next to me.

"No, why?"

"She got away somehow."

"You mean she's not dead?" Sansa asks hopefully.

"Clearly not," Arya says.

"I wasn't talking to you," Sansa says.

"It's not my fault your boyfriend is a-."

"Arya be quiet!" I say. I get up and move her so she is sitting next to Ned and I. "Sansa, how about you go sit closer to Princess Myrcella," she continues to glare as she relocates.

"I think you should keep going South with us," Ned says as we start eating breakfast.

"What about Catelyn?"

"She will be OK. Bran will wake up and everything will be fine. You don't have to stay down there with us, as soon as I find you a proper escort I could send you back to Winterfell."

"OK," I say. "I will continue to accompany you." We leave not long after and several days later we are finally riding into Kings Landing.

Ned, Jory, and I are all close together on our horses while Sansa and Arya are sitting peacefully next to each other on a cart with their Septa. It is the first time since the incident with Prince Joffrey that they are not arguing or glaring at each other. They take in the people in awed silence. It is the first time they've really seen what poverty looks like, and they seem horrified by the state of the people. It doesn't phase me anymore.

Their gazes quickly turn to the buildings taking in the architecture and beauty of the Red Keep. "Welcome Lord Stark," a man says as we come to a stop. Ned gets down, and then turns offering me his hand. I take it and he helps me down. "Grand Maester Pycelle has called a meeting of the Small Council. The honor of your presence is requested."

"We just got here," I say.

"It's fine," he says to me. He looks back at Septa Mordane. "Get the girls settled in, I'll be back in time for supper. And Jory go with them."

"Yes, My Lord," I turn away to go to the cart the girls are on.

"Would you like to see the Throne Room?" Jaime asks coming up in front of me. He's dressed in his Kingsguard stuff again and I blush. He pretends not to notice.

"I would like that." I look towards Ned, but he is still talking. I shrug, "let's go," I hold out my arm and he takes it. He leads me past Ned and the messenger, and through gates that are opened by men wearing gold cloaks. They close behind us.

"They are part of the City Watch," he says. "They are supposed to keep the city safe."

"Like the Nights Watch?"

"Yes, but with less criminals."

"Jon's not a criminal," I say.

"Yes, but most of them are," we walk through the last gate into a high ceilinged room with painted glass windows and steps that lead up to the most uncomfortable looking chair.

"Have you ever sat on it?" I ask as we mount the steps. I take in the pillars with fake vines twining around them.

"Once. I didn't like it," I eye him as he becomes curt with me. "It's not comfortable, not to my liking. I prefer my spot where it is. Here, sit," he sits on the steps and I do the same smoothing my dress out. He cleans his helmet while we wait. Ned walks in after a few moments and Jaime gets up. "Thank the Gods you're here Stark. It's time we had some strong Northern leadership." I stand surprised at the tension in the room.

"Glad to see you're protecting the throne."

"Sturdy old thing."

"I thought I told you to get settled in," Ned says looking past him to me.

"I was just-. I-."

"I was showing her this room," Jaime says. "So much has happened here. How many Kings asses have polished it I wonder. And what's the line? The King shits and the Hand wipes."

I clear my throat in an effort to remind them I was here, and starting to feel very uncomfortable. "Very handsome armor. Not a scratch on it," Ned says to him.

"I know," Jaime says cockily. "People have been swinging at me for years, but they always seem to miss."

"You've chosen your opponents wisely then."

"I have a knack for it," they look each other over and I can sense the dislike between the two. "Must be strange for you. Coming into this room. I was standing right here when Brandon... He was very brave your brother. And your father too. They didn't deserve to die like that," I can hear that Jaime's actually being sincere with him. "Nobody deserves to die like that," he says shaking his head slightly.

"But you just stood there and watched," Ned says and I can see the anger that he's trying to hide.

"Five hundred men just stood there and watched," Jaime replies. I try to imagine that many people in this room watching these two unknown people to me die. "All the great knights of the seven kingdoms. You think anyone so much as said a word? Lifted a finger? No Lord Stark. Five hundred men and this room was silent as a crypt, except for the screams of course," he adds and I close my eyes wincing at the images. "And the Mad King laughing. And later when I watched the Mad King die I remembered him laughing as your father burned. It felt like Justice."

Ned eyes him still angry, and disgusted. "Is that what you tell yourself at night? You're a servant of justice? That you were avenging my father when you shoved your sword into Aerys Targaryen's back?"

"Tell me if I stabbed the Mad King in the belly instead of the back would you admire me more?"

Ned blinks, "you served him well, when serving was safe."

Jaime looks like he's going to retort so I step in clearing my throat yet again. "Ned, don't you have a meeting?" I ask putting a hand on his shoulder. He looks at me nods, and then walks by us. Jaime turns and watches him go.

"Do you see why he doesn't want you marrying me?" Jaime says as the door shuts behind Ned.

"Because you killed the Mad King. I don't care how you did it," I say. "The belly, the back, the throat. He's dead no matter what, and Robert is king now. I don't know if he's any better, but he hasn't burned anyone to death yet has he?"

Jaime sighs, "no he hasn't. You should get going now. I have guarding to do."

"See you later?" I ask.

"Yes," he nods. I turn to go.

"I don't know my-." He calls someone over and asks him to escort me to my room. "Thank you for letting me come with you."