Mother's responsibilities

I lean against a tree, pulling my cloak around me. "Here," Rodrick says handing me a bowl of rabbit stew.

"Thank you," I sip at it liking the taste.

"How are you holding up?"

I look over at Catelyn who takes a seat next to me. "Fine, this is good," I eat some more.

She shifts getting comfortable. "I would like to apologize for how I treated you before you left," she says. "I thought- well I was upset about Bran, and you were leaving me again-." she sighs. "I just mean to tell you that I shouldn't have treated you in such a way. You are already grown up, I missed your childhood."

"It's alright, I understand."

"You miss him don't you?" she asks after a brief pause.

"Who Ned?"

"No, Jaime. I saw him kiss your cheek."

"Oh, that was nothing," I say blushing.

"You like him," she observes. "I guess you can't help who you like. He is attractive, but he is not a good man."

"I'm not going to marry him."

"You told him you were going didn't you?" she asks but it comes out as more of a statement than a question. I look down into my bowl. "I suppose they would all find out sooner or later. Tywin will have someone watching you," I snort.

"Jaime doesn't want to marry either," I say blushing. "He'd rather stay in the kingsguard, guarding the King and all of his other duties."

"You'll find someone else. You know Ned and I didn't love each other until after we were married. Many marriages are like that."

"Let's stop talking about marriage now."

"How's Sansa? I heard about Lady and your troubles along the Kingsroad."

"Prince Joffrey is a little prick, and I wouldn't want to marry him if I were her. Arya and Sansa hated each other but I think they are fine now. I'm not really sure."

"They're exact opposites, they'll fight, but they'll always be sisters, just like you will always be my daughter, and their big sister, even if you don't call me mother. I think it's time we get some sleep," she says. I nod, and pull out my blanket making myself a bed on the ground. I curl up next to her and lay for a while listening to the sounds of the night dreading what I would dream.

Daenerys Targaryen was once again poisoned.

Her brother was encased in molten gold while he screamed.

Arya was sword fighting with a stranger.

Ned lost his head.

I woke up breathing hard. It was morning, and Catelyn was shaking me. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, yes I'm fine," I lay my head down trying to breathe normal. "I'm fine," I try to get the image of Ned out of my head, and am nearly successful.

"Here, some breakfast. We should be at an inn tonight." I push myself up shivering slightly in the cold. I pick up the cold bowl of stew and eat it gratefully. At least Arya will be happy, I think.

"Thank you," I say. I get up and shake my legs out. I go a few feet away to go to the bathroom. When I'm done I say a silent prayer to keep my family safe, and then returned to Catelyn and Rodrick. We move along at a swift pace in silence for a great part of the day. "Can I ask about Littlefinger?"

"Petyr? He's been my friend since I was a little girl. He liked me but I wasn't for him."

"I think he still likes you," I say. "I don't think I liked him."