The Study Habits of Evans and Potter

H E A D C A N O N

James was a morning person. Always had been, always would be. He woke up early in the mornings (like, really early) and he'd watch the sunrise each day. He got most of his work done in the morning when everybody else was still sleeping with his cat (who is named Basil in my head) sitting on his lap. James was also very cheerful in the mornings, to the point where it annoyed everybody in the house. Except Lily.

 People would ask if he did his homework and he'd say yes, but nobody would see him do it. It became a joke in Gryffindor that James had a Time Turner and would go back in time to do his homework. James never particularly enjoyed staying up late unless, of course, he was with the Marauders. Or with Lily. 

When Lily started crushing on him, she would leave his books and quills out on the table for him before she went to bed. When they were married, she would do the same thing, except with breakfast ingredients (Lily was a terrible cook, but James was superb). James never realized that it was her doing this until she confessed. He thought that it was Harry who left eggs on the counter with a freezing charm until Lily finally rolled her eyes and told him that no, it wasn't Harry, and no, it wasn't the cat either.

Lily on the other hand, was a night person throughout all her years of Hogwarts and beyond. She still woke up relatively early, but she was the most productive during the night time. When everybody started going to bed, she was in the common room writing a letter, doing homework, or reading a book. Nobody understood how she went to bed so late and got to classes on time looking so perky, even though she was a real grouch when she woke up. There was a running joke that she also had a Time Turner that she used when she overslept.

In reality, James always had a cup of tea for Lily in the morning and maybe a piece of toast if she was running late. Up until 7th year, he would wordlessly hand her a teacup, she would accept it with a nod of thanks, and James would smirk in response. Even after the "Giant Squid" incident in 5th year, this remained part of their routine. Once they became friends, the actually started speaking and eat together, but Lily would always nod when James gave her tea. When they were married, James would always make breakfast for Lily early in the mornings while he allowed Harry to help, as Harry was a morning person when he was a baby.

The nodding and smirking routine became a secret code/reflex for the couple. Instead of saying thanks, they nodded, and instead of saying you're welcome, they smirked. All of their friends thought they had bad manners because they never thanked each other, but whenever they pointed this out, Sirius would just shake his head and say, "Nah, they don't."

a/n: I spent way too much time writing this. 

summary: james was a morning person, lily was a night person

james would give lily tea in the morning because she would stay up really late

lily would get james's books out at night because he did his homework early in the morning