( five ) the dance

the dance
i do not own 'gross' that song was written and sung by the goddess, olivia rodrigo, herself. all rights go to her.

"Hey, Julie. Can I talk to your both for a second?"

"Yeah, whats up, Miah?" Julie asks, setting down the projector before walking over to him.

"Its AJ." Jeremiah sighs, scratching the back of his neck. "I don't know what's going on. She's been acting weird ever since that day she slept over at your house and then she performs with you and your band after saying that she doesn't have time for a band. I just feel like i'm losing her."

"You're still in love with her?"

"I don't know." Jeremiah says, crouching down before taking a seat on the floor. "We lasted a good two years before she broke it off and this past year as best friends has been good, but she was my first love, y'know?"

"Not really, but I think I've watched enough movies to understand." Julie chuckles, taking a seat beside the boy. "I'm sure she still loves you too and that she appreciates you very much, but she needed to do a bit of self-discovery by herself."

"I just wish I was the one to get her playing piano again, to get her to step out from her sister's shadow."

"Miah, if it wasn't for you, she probably would've been completely miserable. You were there for her through everything, even after she broke up with you. You were always looking out for her and i'm sure she knows how much you care about her."

"Then why didn't she tell me about the band? About those guys, who were definitely flirting with her on that stage." Jeremiah says, making Julie shake her head.

"Oh, don't worry about them. She wouldn't go for one of them." Julie reassures the boy, "she -uh- you know she never liked long distance things. But she isn't officially part of the band, she wouldn't do that to Carrie and her father."

"Yeah, I just- I don't want to lose her."

"Then why are you ignoring her?" Julie asks, confused, turning her head to look at him.

"I guess I was just jealous. Jealous that you and those guys actually got her to perform with you. Like actually perform and look genuinely happy while do it. It's stupid."

"I don't think it's stupid. It's sweet." Julie says, making Jeremiah chuckle turning to her to face her, their faces inches apart.

The two freeze, staring deeply into each other's eyes, only breaking contact to glance down at each other's lips.

"Hey, guys." Flynn says, making the two jump away from each other, jumping onto their feet. "Oh, uh-"

"I should probably find the guys. Can't wait to hear you sing again, Julie."

"Yeah, thanks." Julie says, her eyes wide and cheeks flush as she looks at Flynn.

"What was that?" Flynn says once Jeremiah was gone. "Were you about to kiss your friend's ex?"

"I-I don't know, it just sort of happened. Besides, we both know that she doesn't see him like that anymore."

"Still, you should talk about with AJ first. We don't know what's going on with her." Flynn says, "they were in love."

"I know, it's just memories from when I liked him back in freshmen year just came to mind and I–"

"Hey, you're the one who rejected him back then and introduced him to AJ."

"Yeah, that was stupid, but they were really happy together."

"Hey, sorry, i'm late. I was busy dancing, but I got the 911 text. Whats up?"