( twelve ) let go

"You should open it, AJ."

"I'm scared, Jules. What-what if I didn't get in? Or-or what if I did? What am I gonna tell the guys?" Amelie asks as they walk up the pathway to the Molina's house.

"Either way, you need to know." Julie says, making the brunette sigh, nodding her head as she hugs the envelope and jacket closer to her body.

"Hey."

"Hey." Amelie says, a small smile on her face as she approaches the hazel-eyed boy who waited for her at the porch.

"I'll be in the kitchen, definitely not eavesdropping, if you need me." Julie says, giving the girl a wink before walking into the house.

"I'm -uh- sorry if I overstepped."

"No -uh- I just had to leave. That was..."

"You don't have to say anything." Amelie says, shaking her head, not wanting to pressure the boy.

"Yeah, I do." Luke says, glancing away before looking back into the girl's chocolate brown eyes. "I didn't have many regrets in my life except for running out on my parents. Especially my mom so, thank you."

"You helped me feel more connected to my mom, you even told me about the side of her that my dad never did. The side of her that wasn't perfect." Amelie says, "I just wanted to do something for you."

"That was perfect." Luke says, holding out his hand a bit. Amelie goes to take it, only for it to completely slip through, making both of them sigh in defeat. "I guess it doesn't work every time. You know, this is an interesting little relationship you and I have."

"Ghost-boy and Jace." Amelie chuckles, biting her lip slightly as she looks down at the jacket and envelope in her arms. "Uh—"

"There's something I have to tell you." They say, simultaneously.

"Oh sorry, you first." Amelie says, playing with the rings on her finger's nervously.

"We figured out that we have unfinished business. That's why we came back as ghosts."

"Oh -uh- what is it?" Amelie asks, hugging the jacket closer to her chest.

"We have to play the show we never got to play."

"At the Orpheum? That makes sense." Amelie says, nodding. Out of nowhere, a white spark comes out of the boy's chest, making him stumble back into a pillar.

"We don't have a lot of time."

"Wait, Luke, what was that? Are you okay?" Amelie asks, moving closer to check on the boy.

"We did something we shouldn't have. The night that we missed the dance, we met this ghost, and he put this curse on us." Luke says, making Amelie purse her lips, "And if we don't do what he says, then those jolts will destroy us."

"Then you gotta do what he says. What does he want?" Amelie asks, her jaw tightening.

"He wants us to be in his house band for eternity." Luke says before standing up straight, "Thats why we need to play at the Orpheum soon then we can avoid all that and actually cross over."

Amelie's blinks, not knowing what to say. She never even thought about them crossing over, though she knew they'd disappear at some point. She just didn't think it was this soon. "Cross over? As in like, what? Go to heaven?"

"That's what we're banking on."

"So it's either you cross over, be in his band for eternity, or be destroyed by those bolts?" Amelie asks.

"Yeah."

Amelie chuckles, running her fingers through her hair. "Great."

"Jace—"

"I just- I'm gonna go for a walk, can you tell Julie that i'll be back."

But before she could get an answer, she walks away.

"AJ? There you are! Jeez, we've looking all over for you."

"Look," Flynn says, gesturing to the open envelope on the crying girl's lap. "Are-are those happy tears or sad tears?"

"Both." Amelie sniffles, holding out the letter to her friends for them to read.

"Oh my god! You got in! Congrats, AJ!" Flynn says, hugging the girl as Julie continues to read on.

"You even get to finish the rest of the school year with us." Julie says as she finishes reading the letter. "Isn't that what you wanted?"

Amelie nods, wiping the tears from her face. "That's exactly what I wanted."

"Then the sad tears must be for the boys." Julie says, watching as Amelie clutches the leather jacket even harder.

"It's not that I don't want them to cross over, I do. I really do, but–" Amelie takes a deep breath, "What you created, the music, the bond we have as a band. It's magical and I don't want to let it go."

"But they're hurting and I know that we need to help them. It's just really hard to be happy about them crossing over when I know it'll be a very long time till I see them again."

"And they brought you closer to your mother." Julie says with a sad smile as she hugs the girl. "Emily said that your mom dedicated her life to those boys. Maybe-maybe she and my mom were the ones that sent them. They brought music back into my life and got you to leave Dirty Candy. And if it weren't for them telling you about your dad, he wouldn't have sent the audition video in for the Symphony."

"Y-yeah." Amelie says, taking a deep breath. "And this is how we can pay them back."

"I know letting them go is not gonna be easy, trust me if there were another way—"

"— but there isn't and we need to let them go." Amelie sighs, wiping away her tears. "So, let's just hope that the boys were right about this, but what about you, Julie? What's gonna happen to Julie and the Phantoms once the phantoms are gone?"

"Well, I guess we'll be going out with a bang."

Amelie clings to Julie's side as they walk into the garage, sighing when the see the three ghosts just laying around.

"Snap out of it!"

"Jeez, I think you broke Alex." Reggie says, making Amelie chuckle a bit, catching the attention of Luke.

"Do you guys want to cross over or what?" The boys just continue to lounge around. "Get it together!"

"They're never gonna let us play in the Orpheum." Luke says, shaking his head.

"We're nobody."

"We're less than nobody, we have no bodies." Reggie says, making Amelie purse her lips to hold back another chuckle.

"Someone once told me that you don't ask permission. We book gigs by doing." Julie says.

"That was me."

"No, it wasn't." Julie says before Luke repeats the same thing, making Reggie mutter in response.

"This isn't over. We were brought together for a reason. To help each other." Julie says, making Amelie nod in agreement.

"But like Luke said, people don't just play the Orpheum cause they want to."

"Seriously, guys." Amelie speaks up for the first time since she entered the room. "Sure, people don't, but ghosts do."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

sorry, i didn't really know how to
write this chapter and its not very
good. but thank you for all the support
and i promise that the next chapter
will be 10x better.

also i need a ship name for
AJ (Jace) and Luke.