( eight ) dance partners

"So I ended up sleeping over at Julie's house last night after Carrie put hair dye in my shampoo, thank God I spotted it before I actually used it."

Jeremiah hums in response, looking past the girl and at another pair in the near distance.

"But, I figured out how that love song my mom and her friend wrote goes and i'm thinking about performing it, but I do need someone to sing the guy part—"

Last night when Amelie slept over, she spent a lot of the time in the garage with Luke and the guys, trying to figure out how the song goes.

Luke was acting a bit off around the girl, keeping his distance and barely cracked any jokes. To her surprise, he suggested for her to sing the song with Jeremiah instead of him, which she protested against, but he wouldn't budge.

"— so I was wondering if you could perform it with me." Amelie asks, pursing her lips as she switches books into her locker.

"Yeah, sure." Jeremiah says, his mind obviously elsewhere. Amelie furrows her eyebrows as she turns to him before following his eyes to who he was looking at.

"Julie?" Amelie gasps softly, making the boy look at her with wide eyes. "You like Julie again?"

"No, no. It's not like that—"

"Miah, we aren't dating anymore. It's okay." Amelie says, ignoring the slight aching feeling she felt in her chest. "You should ask her out before he does though."

"I'm not moving on till you do, all right? It doesn't feel right." Jeremiah shakes his head, making the girl smile at him.

But, as if on que, Luke appears next to Jeremiah, making the girl perk up a bit. "Hey, Miah. You should get going to class and I'll send you the sheet music for the song. See you in dance?"

"Yeah, if I don't deliberately break my leg so I don't have to do this stupid dance." Jeremiah says before placing a kiss to the top of his best friend's head. "See you later."

"Please don't break you leg." She says as the boy walks away, he only shrugs, not looking back at her.

Amelie pulls put her phone and holds it up to her ear like she was talking to someone. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to let you know that we're gonna be playing 'Great' tonight." Luke says, a small smile on his face.

"Cool, I was hoping that that would be the song you guys chose." Amelie says, looking around the room to see if anyone was suspicious. "Is that all?"

"Uh, no. I actually wanted to say 'sorry' for acting so weird last night." Luke says, scratching the back of his head. "I was just a bit drained from the performance and stuff."

"Oh, it's fine. I'm just kind of sad that you aren't the one that's gonna be performing this song with me." Amelie says, looking up at the boy sadly. "I mean, you're the one that wrote it."

"We're still not sure how this 'visible when playing with you and Julie thing' works and since Julie refuses to make it a band song because it meant so much to your mom, we're not gonna be sure if I'll be able to play with you and still be seen."

"Yeah, I know." Amelie says, sadly, stating deeply into the boy's hazel-eyes. The effect those eyes had on her scared her. "I should -uh- get to class."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll see you later."

Amelie smiles at the boy before he disappears. She lets out a shaky breath, her eyes wandering around the hall til they land on a pair of onlooking eyes.

Julie and Flynn give the girl a knowing smirk, making her groan before walking over to them. "Why am I like this?"

"He's a ghost, AJ. A very cute ghost, but still a ghost." Flynn says as the three of them start walking down the hall. "How far can that relationship even get?"

"I know, it's just— I don't know."

"Look, we don't want to see you get hurt, we don't even know how long their gonna be ghosts for or how this actually works," Julie says, wrapping an arm around the girl's shoulder, "and we're not saying to just completely disregard your feelings, but you need to think about what's best for you."

"Yeah, I know."

"You know, it's probably all that eye contact and winking you guys do, but not gonna lie though, the two of you up their last night," Flynn hums, "you guys were hot!"

"Thanks, I try." Amelie says with a wink, making all three girls chuckle. "Oh, by the way, what's going on between you and Miah, Julie?"

"Wait, wha—"

"Nice to see that both of your legs are in working condition, Conte." Amelie says as the boy approaches her, he rolls his eyes before fixing his collar.

"I knew I never should have joined lacrosse."

"Poor baby." Amelie says, patting his cheek. Jeremiah chuckles, grabbing the girl's hand and placing a kiss to the back of her hand.

"M'lady." Jeremiah says, making the girl roll her eyes. "You ready for the most embarrassing moment of my life?" 

"I just hope that someone's recording."

The music starts playing and the two smile at each other before getting into position. They do the routine, laughing at Jeremiah whenever he would mess up.

"See, this isn't so bad." Amelie chuckles as he pulls her into him before spinning her out.

"Yeah." Jeremiah says, admiring the smile on the girl's face before spotting another smiling face behind her.

Julie and Nick danced together perfectly, bright smiles on both of their faces. "Hey, you all right?"

"Yeah, i'm fine." Jeremiah says, dipping the girl. Amelie sighs before nodding, spinning back up.

"I gotta say, you're much better than you were yesterday. Someone has definitely been practicing." Amelie says, closing her eyes a bit as he lifts her into the air.

"Or maybe i'm just that good." Amelie's eyes snap open at the new voice.

The room seemed to blur as the hazel-eyed boy brought her back to the ground. Amelie smiles, glancing down at his lips for a second before continuing the dance, completely forgetting the fact that in reality, she was actually dancing with Jeremiah.

The rest of the dance was filled with passion, their faces extremely close as they move in perfect harmony, both of them lost in their own worlds.

It was only when the music stopped that the two had snapped out of their trance-like states, remembering who they were actually dancing with.

Their panting breaths fanned each other's faces as cheers and applause fills the room. The partners look each other in the eyes deeply before pulling themselves off of each other.

Jeremiah turns to where Julie stood, immediately meeting her eye. The curly-haired girl purses her lips before turning to Nick and rushing out of the gym.

"You two did great." The teacher says with a nod before walking off to talk to another group.

Amelie and Jeremiah look at each other before smirks slowly grow onto their face. They high five each other before walking over to her bags and drinking from their water bottles.

"So who's Luke?"

"What?" Amelie chokes on her water, her eyes wide. "What are you talking about?"

"You said his name earlier while we were dancing."

"Oh, uh, well—"