( six ) faith and luke

"AJ, pumpkin? What are you doing in here?"

"Who's Sunset Curve?" Amelie asks, looking at the man, an unreadable look on her face.

"Wh-what? How—"

Amelie points at an opened box behind her. "Found that in the storage room labeled 'do not open'. So, who are they, dad?"

"They're just a few friends I used to play music with. We created a band back in the day, it all went south when they got into an accident."

"So, you stole their music and didn't give them any credit for it?"

"What? How did you know that?"

"Does it matter?" Amelie says, standing up from her spot on the bed. "Why would you do that dad? You stole music that he wrote and didn't give him any credit for it. You became this big star and couldn't even give your friends the recognition they deserved?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"Yeah, I wouldn't." Amelie scoffs, grabbing the box before walking out of the room. "You know, dad, i've always looked up to you. Admired you for what you've made of yourself. Now, I feel like I don't even know who you are."

"AJ, sweetie. Wait—"

It was too late, Amelie had slammed the door shut on her way out, tears in her eyes as she makes her to her room.

Amelie sets the box onto her bed, taking a seat beside it. She reaches into the box and pulls out a book marked 'Faith's song book'.

She goes to open the book, only to make a paper fall out of it and onto the ground. Amelie leans down to pick it up before feeling a slight shift on her bed.

"Jace..."

"Luke, look, i'm sorry for not believing you, but-" The girl sits up, the paper in hand before meeting the boy's teary eyes. "Woah, what's wrong?"

Amelie reaches up to her cheek, only for it to go straight through him making them both shake their head with a sigh of defeat.

"Wh-why are you crying?"

"Why are you?" Luke asks and it was only then that the girl realized that she was still crying.

"I asked first." Amelie says stubbornly, wiping away her tears, harshly. Luke sighs, leaning back till he was laying on the bed.

"I went to see my parents today," Luke pauses for a second, "and the day before that and the day before that. And I–"

Amelie lays down, flipping onto her side so she was looking at him as he stared up at the ceiling. "I just regret not fixing things with them before I died. My mom and I- the last time I even spoke to her, I said some things that I didn't mean and I just wish I could talk to her now. Make things right, be in their lives again. Be alive again." Luke says, lifting arms up, staring at his hands.

"I want them to know how much I love them. I want them to know that we were gonna be big, that we were gonna play at the freaking Orpheum. That my dreams were worth chasing. That I did it for them."

"That's why you're so upset that my dad stole your music and got famous for it." Amelie says, making Luke turn his head to look fat her. "Luke, i'm so sorry that this happened to you and i'm even more sorry for not believing you yesterday."

Luke switches to his side so he could look back at Amelie, their faces inches apart. "I just wanted to believe that my dad was a good guy so bad. That I was raised by a good man. But- now- I don't know what to do."