CHAPTER ONE

"It's Brown. I made it!" the girl smiling, standing on the sidewalks. She is Ellie Bach, a freshman at Brown University.

​ This is her dream school. Strictly speaking, it's her parents' dream school. But she believes that all her parents think is best for her, so she thinks to enter Brown is the best choice for her. After all, her parents were graduated from this school and now they have a stable job and an acceptable life.

​"Are you sure you can do this alone?" Ellie's mom is worry about her, this is the first time her daughter moves out. She knew this day would come, but she never be ready. Ellie is always her baby, she doesn't even know if she is worried about if her daughter can live alone or she just wants to stay with her.

​"Come on, she is already 18." Her dad says. He is the one who encouraged Ellie to move out. Their house is near the school, so Ellie doesn't need to live in the dormitory, but her dad said it is good for her to live without parents in college. Because of that, her parents had a big fight in these two months.

​"I'll be fine, don't worry, mom." Ellie tries to appease her mom. "Call me every night." Her mom shouts in the distance. There is another reason that Ellie chooses to "listen to her father" is that her mom is bothering sometimes. She always treats her like a baby that sometimes it makes Ellie hard to breathe. She knows that her mother is just worried about her, she doesn't blame her, but it's time to run away.

​Ellie takes her luggage and complete the check-in procedure. When she enters her room, one of her roommates is already there. The girl is reading the book, she doesn't notice Ellie. She is wearing a red dress, her hair is dark brown and curly, having an exotic temperament. Ellie thinks she is pretty.

​"Hello," Ellie says, trying to not scaring the first person she met in her new school. The girl raises her head and smiles, "Hi, I guess you're my roommate, right?" If the girl doesn't speak, Ellie will not dare to talk to her, her look has a sense of distance, especially when she is not smiling.

​"Yeah, I'm Ellie, Ellie Bach. It's a common last name, my mom said that it means someone who lived by a stream..." Not letting her finish, the girl interrupts. "Hi, my name is Jess Cox." Ellie lets her mouth open. Cox? The Cox family? One of the richest families in the world? Jess finds her difference and replies, "Yeah, the Cox." Jess smiles helplessly, as if she doesn't like the "title" everyone admired. "You're the first person I met here." Jess continues. "Really? Me too! I mean... you're the first person I met here too." Ellie says. "Had you visited the campus yet?" She asks. "Nah, I just got here, want to go together?" "Sure." "Let me help you packaging first."

​Jess's passion makes her feel surprised. Soon, the two start chatting. Jess tells Ellie that her family did not support her in studying economics. After all, the Cox family is famous for the media industry. So they didn't give her much financial support. Ellie feels like Jess is just like a normal girl, no wonder that she doesn't like people to focus on her last name and her rich family. When they finally finish packaging and ready to leave, the door opens.
​A skinny blonde girl walks in. "Ciao!" She screams. "ugh...Ciao!" the girls reply. The girl in front of the door doesn't look like an Italian, no one looks like an Italian in this room, except the woman who is standing behind and packaging the new girl's stuff. "Oh, you're not an Italian, I thought you are, you look like one." She says to Jess's face. Ellie smiles, she knows there's nothing about Jess looks like an Italian. Jess looks confused too, but they all choose to laugh about it.

​"Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Cassidy Mars. The "candy" family." Cassidy gives them the sweetest smile they ever seen. "If you want to eat some candy, just let me know, I'll let my dad send some free candies for my cutest roommates." The Mars family, everyone knows this family, they make candy. Ellie used to love their family when she was little, until her dad told her that sugar will make her dumb and stupid.

​"That's Mia, she is helping me packaging. Don't worry, she won't stay here." "Her maid," Jess whispers to Ellie. Ellie nods her head, trying to accept the truth that she will live with two rich girls in the next semester. "Silly me, I forgot to ask, what's your..." "Jess Cox, Economics major," Jess replies before Cassidy starts talking again. "Ellie Bach, English." "I'm majoring in Theatre Arts and Performance Studies." "Wow, that's cool," Ellie says. She always envy of people who have talents, like an artist. "Aw, that's nothing," Cassidy says. "By the way, are you guys going out? Can I come with you? I want to see what clubs does Brown have." "Sure," Jess says. "What club do you want to join anyway?" She is curious. "I want to join the Kappa Delta Sorority." "Greek organization?" Ellie asks. "...Yeah, who call that anyway," Cassidy laughs, thinking that is weird to call a sorority "Greek organization". "How about you, Ellie?" Jess asks. "Well, I have no idea yet."

​The reason why Ellie calls it the greek organization is that her parents always call it that. They hate the sorority culture. They were not a part of party animals in college. They even called it "the freak organization" sometimes. "They might be very angry if I join a sorority." thinks Ellie.

​At the activity fair. The girls find their interests and sign up to join the clubs. Cassidy goes to the Kappa Delta Sorority and Jess goes to the student union. "Haven't decided yet? Kappa is your best choice!" the "cheerleaders" are yelling to the freshman. Ellie haven't decide which club she is going to join. She had thought about the student union, but she isn't a hundred percent sure. "Ellie comes on, it will be fun! Let's sign for Kappa together." Cassidy says. Her words are attractive that Ellie almost moved. "Hello, you two look like PNMs, want to join the Kappa family?" A pretty girl walks by and asks. "PNM?" Ellie asks. "Potential new member, yeah, I would love to, where to sign up?" Cassidy is excited. "Come with me," the girl looks happy that she finds a new member of the big family. "How about you?" she suddenly asks. "Ugh...I..." Ellie still not sure, Cassidy gives her a that-will-be-fun look. "Last year, I was just like you, hesitating that if I should join Kappa, look at me now, this is a big family, I have so many sister!" A girl with long black hair comes out from don't know where says, smiling to Ellie.

​"Ahhhhh...Okay." Ellie responds.

​When they go back to the dorm, the last roommate already arrived. Her name is Una, Una Cronin. Her father is the founder of the luxurious airline - Kestrel. She comes to Brown to finish the study of Business so that she could take over the family business in the future.

​After met Jess and Cassidy, Una's background doesn't surprise Ellie anymore. Although their family backgrounds are different, Ellie finds that she and her roommates are similar in some way. They chat until the night.

​"I have a feeling that our college life will be amazing," says Una.