CHAPTER FIVE

"Oh, I missed you, babe." Ellie's mom holds her tightly. It had already been a week since she entered Brown. "I missed you, too, mom," Ellie says back, but she isn't 100% honest. Last week, her life was awesome, she went to many school activities, she met many cool people, she didn't even think about her family, because it was too fun. Ellie feels a little bit guilty for that, but last week was the best time she ever had since she born.

    ​"Yeah, so everything okay?" Her mom asks, she wants to know if her daughter like the school or not. "Yeah, it's great." Ellie doesn't want to talk much, especially talk about the parties. "Hmmm..." the way she responds makes Ellie's mom way more curious. "Anything happened? Come on, I'm a cool mom."
​No, you're not. Ellie thinks. Her mom always likes to say she is very cool, open, not conservative. But she is.

    ​"Have you join any organization? Student union?" Holy crap! Ellie forgot this. She can't hide this to her mom, she is an FBI level agent! And Ellie knows if her mom finds out herself before she tells her first, she might not make it to the next Christmas.

    ​"Well, that's what I need to tell you right now." Ellie does not dare to look at her mother's eyes. "I join the Kappa Delta Sorority." then there's the silence.

    ​"Mom, it makes me feel good. I love it." Her mom doesn't say anything, so Ellie explains. "I made a lot of friends. I feel confident..." "Okay, I didn't say anything." Her mom smiles weirdly. Ellie knows she wants to act cool, she had promised that she won't control her life anymore after high school. But Ellie knows her mom isn't happy with that.

    ​"I just want you to support me." Ellie murmurs. "I support you. I support you to...support other sisters...brothers... doing charity for puppy?  Being a party animal... If that's what you want?" Her mom is mocking her. This is not the first time. But this time, Ellie is going to say something.

    ​"Why are you always like that?" Ellie says. "Like what?" her mom asks. "Every time I want to do something I like, you just say no to me just because you don't like it." "You can't force me to have the same preference as you." Her mom is getting angry now.

    ​"I didn't force you, you are the one who always force me."

    ​"Did I? I want you to live at home but you and your father want to live outside, to run away from me, did I force you to stay? Did I? Did I lock you in your room?" Ellie always thinks her mother has an anger issue since Ellie's grandpa passed away and her grandma is sick. Since then, Ellie stopped talking to her mom, she doesn't want to give her more things to bother. But sometimes, she hates her mom being so desperate and always under pressure.
​"Why are you hate it?" Ellie yells to her mom. "Because people in the sorority are shallow and fake, brainless..." "You are talking about my friends, you know that right? They're my family. Brainless, fake family..." Ellie laughs about it, she couldn't believe her mom saying that. "I'm your family. Not those people."
​After a few minutes of silence. "Why you never support me when I need you." Ellie almost cries when she says those. "I don't want you to make up or dress like a crown for boys, or anyone." "What if I do it for myself?"

    ​"You're not doing for yourself." Her mom says, give her a face that Ellie knows she can never pursue her. She is angry, upset, helpless, disappointed with her mom. She runs to her room, close her door, and lay down on her bed.
​It's tired to fight with her mom, Ellie felled asleep until someone calls her and her phone rings. It's Cassidy.

    ​"Hey, It's me. Where are you? What are you doing?"

    ​"At home and...doing nothing?" Ellie says.
​"Okay. So I call you to check if you want to go to a party together?"

    ​"A party? When? Next Monday." Next Monday? the party Ethan had mentioned? Ellie thinks.

    "Hello? Are you listening? Ian will be there, remember him?"

    ​"Oh yeah, sorry. of course I remember him. He's cute." And according to Faith, he is a jerk too.

    ​"So?" Ellie doesn't want anything happened on Cassidy, and she doesn't think it is a good idea that Cassidy goes alone.

    ​"I'm in," Ellie says.