CHAPTER NINE

It's 9 a.m. After having a touching conversation with Una, Ellie is having a literature matters course, it is the core course for the English major students at Brown University. On the way to the classroom, Ellie tries to ignore everyone who she thinks is staring at her, she doesn't like the feeling. Ellie always want to be an attention, but now, she doubts that if this is what she wants.
​She sits alone, there is no one she knows taking this course. However, a familiar figure sits next to her at the last second before the end of the clock. It's the last person Ellie wants to see in her life now, Hedda. Ellie decides to ignore her.

    ​Fifteen minutes after the class began, Hedda notices that Ellie deliberately didn't talk to her. "Hello?" She touches her arm, "I noticed that you noticed me but you didn't say anything." She laughs. Ellie still ignoring her.
​"And I also noticed that you didn't talk to me is not because you are paying attention in this class, you are not." Hedda laughs even harder. Ellie doesn't know what is her problem, why she always acts like she is drunk. Ellie glares at her. "Oh, I know," Hedda stops, "last night, right?"

​    Ellie couldn't hold it no more, "why are you even here? Are you following me to try to ruin my life?" Ellie says. "Oh, you speak!" Hedda takes it as a joke. "I'm a literary arts major, didn't I tell you?" No, Ellie doesn't remember she had ever told her that. "So am I right? Because those photos?" Hedda saying like she doesn't even think "those photos" can be a problem for her.

    ​"How could you not be asham of that?" Ellie couldn't believe that Hedda can be no care with what happened last night.
​"Asham of what?" She smiles, "for kissing others? for having fun?" Ellie opens her mouth in surprise.

    ​"I don't care what people think about me," Hedda says, she turns into serious suddenly. "And you don't have to either," she says to Ellie. "There's no sense that you care about what someone you hardly know think about you, right?" She continues, "they shouldn't have judged you by some photos or what at first, that's not the whole you." Ellie doesn't know what to say, she had never thought in that way.

    ​"And after a few days, few weeks, after you graduate, those will be nothing to them, you are nothing to them. So If you care now, you will be stuck, that's not worth it, because those people you care about what they say? They don't even give a shit." Hedda says. Ellie wants to say something but she can't retorts. Ellie shuts her mouths, thinking about what Hedda just said. Hedda didn't say anything after until the class dismissed.

    ​Maybe Hedda is right? Ellie thinks, she always cares about what people think about her, sometimes she care too much that she loses herself. Aaliyah never cares, neither Hedda, that's the thing they're alike.

    ​"Class dismissed!" The professor says, Ellie is annoyed, she didn't hear a word of what the professor said today. "Bach!" She hears someone is calling her name. "Wanna hang out tonight? I know somewhere you will love it." Hedda says it surely. Before Ellie even have time to think about it. "7 p.m. the Newport," Hedda says, and leaves the classroom.