Chapter 16 - The Emperor's appearance

A good ruler would always keep their words and her husband, not surprising anyone really, was one of those people. He had said before that he would like to meet the children that would one day be by his son's side – although, they are still at the age where they couldn't even pronounce actual coherent words just yet. The man still made right to his promise. It would totally help her if he had said anything beforehand just so that she wouldn't be surprised by his presence. Not that she wanted him to even be there but it will at least be nice to show her closest friends how compatible they both are together. Ophelia knew deep down her sisters were worried about her and her wellbeing. She would just like them to know that she can handle herself and they had nothing to worry about.

A maid came rushing towards their group. She looked ruffled and clearly bearing news about the Emperor's surprise appearance. She was stopped for a split second controlling her breathing to one of a relaxed one as if she hadn't just run the extra mile as soon as she was given her orders. The maid bow to Ophelia and remained bowing as she passed on the message.

"My Empress, forgive me for intruding on you but I had come with news. The Emperor would like to join the party that you had held."

With quick reaction that betrayed nothing of what she felt on the inside, she remained poised and calm. Ophelia knew what had to be done. She ordered the guards to fetch a few extra chairs and tables while the maids to head to the kitchen and grabbed more cakes for the Emperor. She also directs her ladies' handmaids to help their mistress to their chair and help them on their appearances. Three nannies sat on the soft rug with the children who were all joyfully unaware of the tension in the air and remained blissfully in their little world.

Ophelia had to oversee everything once again making sure that nothing is was amiss when the Emperor arrives. The party was merely laidback and relaxed with occasional talk about the happenings in the court. Knights and manservants will stand guard a few feet away with their back towards them to give a sense of privacy to the fellow women. Now, with the sudden arrival of the Emperor, they had no choice but to follow the formal conduct of a tea party. Either something had held the Emperor back or he purposely took his time for it took quite a while for him to arrive. Long enough for the servants to come back with everything that she had asked for. As the last of the plates set on the table, he had finally arrived.

Everyone at the vicinity bowed to the Emperor. With him was his usual set of servants and, sure enough, both his Prime Minister and General had also decided to join them. The weather was quite warm today hence why he had looked more comfortable. More human and less of a tyrant ruler.

"I hope you wouldn't mind my sudden arrival here, Empress. I thought it might be a good idea to also invite both of my companions here since their wives are also attending to your tea party," he said with a voice that commands no second opinions.

At the sidelines, Peter who was previously in his world turned his head towards the sound of his father's voice. There was a look of recognition on his face. The small prince had become unsettled and move about in the arms of his nanny who tried to calm him down.

Ophelia took everything he gave to her with a stride, "Of course, Your Imperial Majesty. It will be an honour to have your presence here despite your busy schedule."

She made sure the Emperor sat first before it was her turn which then followed by the Dukes and Duchess. The most powerful man in the empire, of course, sat at the head of the table with Ophelia at the other end of it. The Dukes and Duchess sat beside their respective spouses.  After everyone had settled, Ophelia waved for the servants to pour them some tea.

"Apologies, Your Imperial Empress. I had almost forgotten to wish you congratulations on giving birth to a child safely. The whole empire is thrilled for the birth of the young prince," Duke Cain Dankworth, the Prime Minister and also husband to her sweet friend Elena firstly said. Always the diplomatic man starting up a topic of conversation that could easily branch out for many more.