chapter 45❤

The boat was near the shore now, the sandy core of the sea could easily be observed.

After sometime the man operating the boat, came out of his sailing quarter and said "We're at the shore." He pressed a button to present the stairs.

Aarav got down, then helped Hritika get down with her high heels on.

"Let me drive you to hospital." Aarav proposed.

"Um.. okay.. but I guess I've to go home real quick, I've to change my clothes."

"Sure, come, let me drive you home then." Aarav opened the door for him to which Hritika mumbled a thank you.

The drive was silent until they arrived Hritika's house and Aarav said he'll wait outside.

Hritika didn't have time to argue so she ran inside and came out almost within five minutes wearing formals and some files.

"Let's go" she hurriedly said.
.

.

.

.
"Scapels and clamps please." Hritika asked.

A junior doctor handed her instantly.

"Dr. Jay at suction." Hritika commanded.

"We will disect here, you see? Give me the marker for a second." She made people understand the plan and the procedure started.

After hours of operation, it was done "Step back, let's see if he responds."

He didn't.

"No worries, try another way." Hritika said not discouraging others.

She disected again. She was doing the surgery while blood pooled over the part.

"Oh no, where is it coming from.." she put her hand inside to check where it went wrong. 

"Sumit, loosen the clamps." She asked.

"It's the mitral valve!! Give me the hemostatic forceps."

After it was treated, she now focussed on the actual problem. The valve.

"Sumit, hold the clams not that tight." She instructed.

She again operated.

"Step back, nurse Smita, is he responding?"

Nurse Smita looked at the monitor "not yet, ma'am."

Hritika took a deep breath closing her eyes for a moment.

"The problem might be not with the valve only...." Realisation drawed over her.

She looked over the heart.

"Call Derek."

After sometime Derek came.

"Check the left part, I'm on the right part.."

Derek nodded.

After sometime of inspection.

Derek nodded no. "I don't see any faults here. Nothing can be done."

"No, let me check there." Hritika couldn't accept it.

She was now tensed. She couldn't find any faults to treat.

Her fingers while searching, observed a very small hole.

"Superior vena cava! It's the superior vena cava!! Again the clamps! Loosen them!!" Hritika snapped.

Sumit was scared. It was his fault the patient was dying.

"Is he responding?" Everyone was worried.

"Um.." nurse looked at the monitor.

"No ma'am."

Disappointment was all Hritika was feeling right now. She removed her surgical gloves after asking the other to stitch and was about to exit when nurse called out "He's responding!!"

Shocked, Hritika turned to see if it was true.

Indeed he was responding!

A bright smile spread over Hritika's face.

"Good job guys! All of you." She said to everyone before turning and going to the sink to wash her hands.

She noticed the junior doctors too washing hands beside her.

"You're magical ma'am!" They said in unison.

Hritika laughed "not at all, it'd never be possible without you all."

They all left, it was Sumit now, standing with his head hung low. It didn't go unnoticed by Hritika, she felt bad for snapping at him.

She said "sorry for that, earlier. I got a bit stressed." She accepted.

"It was my fault afterall." Sumit replied with his hands still hung low.

"You're new to these. Just hold it like this" she showed "it's not your kid's ears that you'll hold it so tight.." she joked to lighten the mood.

He smiled "I won't repeat that."

Hritika nodded before leaving.

Her whole body was aching. She checked her wrist watch. It displayed 3 am. So quick? She thought.

Then she realised it was another day. The surgery indeed took a lot of time.

She huffed before going towards her car while her assistant put her bags and files inside the car. She had to drive alone. The driver didn't arrive.

She groaned out of frustration before igniting the engine.

She was home in no time for the speed she used to get home. She retired to her bed and slept without caring to change which was very unlikely of Hritika.

She was just too tired from Siddarth and Namrata's proposal, and then getting back, rushing into the surgery and then such a tiring surgery!

When she woke up, her phone was ringing frantically.

It was Sean.

"Mhmm?"

"Are you sleeping? Sorry angel.. I was scared.. you didn't accept any of my calls for past days.. are you okay?"

"Mhm.. was in OT... how's business in US?"

"All good. How's it there?" He asked.

"Tiring.. being a doctor beside managing all these hospitals is so damn tiring.." she checked the time before continuing "like I've been sleeping for 5 hours now and still I feel tired." Hritika said in her sleepy voice.

Sean chuckled "Take care of yourself, silly!" He seemed to be in a good mood today.

"By the way, I talked to Aarav.."

His laughs died down "then?"

"I gave him a chance!" Hritika squealed happily.

"really?" He said with a slow hardly audible voice.

"Yeah!! Aren't you happy?"

"I- uh.." he cleared his voice before replying "Whatever makes you happy, angel, makes me happy too." His voice sounded sincere.

"Are you okay?" Hritika was confused by his reaction, his sudden change in mood.

"Yeah.. I've gotta go.. got something urgent." He quickly disconnected the call confusing Hritika more.

"What's up with him? I hope he's okay..." Hritika mumbled before going to freshen up.