chapter 50 ❤

He loves me? Why'd he?

"Hritika, you're still awake?" Aarav asked, dead tired from office work. He loosened his tie and unbuttoned his blazer as he sat on the couch.

1 am, the clock showed.

"Yes."

"Why? Go to sleep. I still have some work. I told you about that product launch? It's about it, it's on this weeken- Hritika? Are you okay?" Worry overtook him seeing Hritika's confused eyes, he knew her mind was thinking something else.

"Wha- yeah. Yeah. I'm absolutely fine. Let me heat your dinner, you freshen up by then." She hurriedly walked away, as if avoiding the situation.

When Aarav went to the dining room, Hritika was serving him the food, her eyes on the container, not able to look up. She didn't know why she was feeling guilty. She felt as if she was guilty of how Sean felt. Has she overdone everything? Had her behaviour ever torched his feelings? She doesn't remember doing so, but she might have.

"Have you had your dinner?" Aarav asked.

"Huh?"

"I asked have you had your dinner?"

"No."

"Come sit here." Aarav gestured to the seat beside him making Hritika look at him quizically.

"Um. Let me first serve you dinner, alright?"

"No, come sit down first. I can serve myself."

Hritika did as told. Aarav enveloped her palms with his, his eyes filled with concern.

"Now tell me, what has happened?"

Hritika thought to her if she should tell him, or will it worsen things? Will he misunderstand her?

"Tell me, Hritika. You're worrying me now."

"Don't misunderstand me Aarav."

"I'll never again, love. Tell me what's bothering you." Regret and repentance flashed through his eyes.

"Sean..he was behaving distant from past few weeks and today when he came by..to receive Daisy... I asked him the reason.. he didn't want to answer saying it'll harm our relationship.. it confused me because why'd it affect our relationship.. then when asked about it, we had a heated conversation..he told me he loves me.. and he didn't want me to know so.. and that's why he and Daisy went to America.."

She looked at Aarav's eyes to reckon the emotions but she couldn't.

"Daisy was crying and resisting his grip to stay...but.. he took her away.. and probably I'll never get to meet them.. I feel guilty Aarav. I feel guilty for this whole situation." She waited for Aarav to say something but he didn't, he just pulled her closer and hugged her.

"You are not responsible for what he feels, Hritika. Yes, it is sad that he has to go through this but how can you be responsible for what he feels for you? Don't crush yourself like that. And about America, let him settle down,if he needs a bit space, let him. After some time, when his mind will calm down, I'm sure he'll be the friend you had. And Daisy, well, you can always video call her."

"I don't know..."

"It's okay to not know... What do you want now? I mean.. do you reciprocate the same feelings he does?" Aarav said, Hritika noticed how his voice got heavy saying so.

Hritika pulled away in haste "No Aarav. How could even question me something like that? Yes, I care for him deeply and I consider him as my family and I love him too but! But as a friend, as a companion who, too, cares for me, stood by me when I had lost almost everything.."