11. Charity Balls and Spiteful Progenitors

The picture above is Addelyn's dress for the ball 

CHAPTER 11
Charity Balls and Spiteful Progenitors 

WARNING: This chapter may contain slight discrimination on the basis of wealth and status. I apologize in advance to anyone who's feelings might get hurt from this. And I want you to know that I don't support any sort of discriminations. 

What the fuck was I thinking?

In that moment of anger, I called Cole and agreed to go to the ball with him.

But now I regret it.

Even sitting in Cole's well air-conditioned limo isn't helping me sweat any lesser at the thought of meeting my parents.

"Are you alright?" Cole asked and I nodded with a forced smile.

Maybe I won't meet them. It's a huge place with a lot of people. So, there's a great chance that I won't run into them.

Oh, who am I kidding? Fate just has a funny way of playing games.

As soon as I arrived, my window was hit with flashes of cameras. Cole got out of the limo and walked to my side to open the door for me.

Blocking out the cameras, we entered the hall to be greeted with the site of fancy business men dressed in suits and women wearing dresses worth thousands of bucks which they probably won't be using after this night.

All of them had one purpose for being here tonight: no, not charity, but to keep up their prestigious reputations.

The golden walls and the matching yellow lights hanging from the ceiling slightly made me uncomfortable. But I shrugged off the feeling as I walked hand in hand with Cole.

"Oh great!" Cole groaned as he saw the two figures approaching us.

"Cole honey, there you are." Mrs. Hamilton's chirpy voice rang in my ears as she pulled her son into a hug.

She broke away from the hug before turning her attention to me.

"Addelyn, what a pleasant surprise?" She beamed.

"You must be my son's date tonight." Mr. Hamilton said and I nodded in agreement.

"What about the Vanderbilt boy? Don't you usually attend these things with him?" Mrs. Hamilton questioned.

Oh yes, Mrs. Hamilton with her blunt question and absolute disrespect for others' privacy has quite a reputation in the society.

"Yes, I do. But tonight, he has another date. Actually, you might kno–"

"Mom, please excuse us. Addelyn and I have lot of people to attend to." Cole said deliberately interrupting me.

"Don't be rude, Cole." His mother scolded, "I raised you better than to interrupt a lady while she's speaking."

Cole mumbled a 'sorry' and Mrs. Hamilton gestured me to speak.

"Blake's date for the night is Terra Hale. Isn't she a family friend of yours?" I asked.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Family friend? I don't know what lies she fed you, but she is definitely no friend of ours. She's the help's daughter."

"Really?" I smirked as I raised an eyebrow at Cole. He looked at his feet with a glare which was probably meant for his mother.

I should've known that the Hamiltons won't actually be acquainted with a scholarship student's family. They're very particular about their social circles which explains why Cole's mother disapproved of Terra as his date.