1: Sweethearts and Cigarettes

I couldn't believe it. I was stuck in a giant warehouse.

I kicked the huge, metal door. "Assholes!" I screeched, though I doubt I was heard. I raked my hands through my blonde hair in frustration. I came to this old warehouse enough times that I knew there was no way out except that door.

I came here tonight to escape the noise that was my life, when a group of boys from school found me and decided to lock me in here. I didn't reach the door fast enough. So here I was. Stuck for who knew how long.

Thankfully, fall hadn't fully set in yet, so it wouldn't be too cold for the rest of the night. Still, a warehouse wasn't exactly comfortable.

At the edge of my vision, I saw movement and I jumped, turning to face whatever was moving. It didn't take me long to realize it was the figure of a person, and I immediately began to panic. I grabbed a plank of wood laying on the ground and held it up. I was about to yell when the figure spoke.

"Don't tell me that door is closed."

Did I know that voice? He sounded young, and oddly familiar. "Why else would I yell? Of course it's closed."

The figure emerged from the shadows, and I realized why his voice was familiar. I had seen him around school a lot, but I never learned his name. He was tall, with light brown, almost blond hair, and a razor sharp jaw line.

"You can put that down, sweetheart. I'm not going to kill you."

I wrinkled my nose. "The name is Rylee, not sweetheart." I slowly set the plank down. "And what are you doing here?" I asked, eyeing the back pack slung over his shoulder.

The guy didn't answer as he approached the metal door and jerked on the handle.

I rolled my eyes. "You think I didn't try that?"

He scanned me up and down and raised an eyebrow. "You never know. Some people just aren't... smart, to put it simply."

"That's a sad attempt at an insult, dude. But nice try." I didn't know much about this guy, obviously. But there were a few things I did know. He drove an old muscle car, a loud one, and liked to think he was cool driving it around. He didn't hang with the best crowd, and he was caught smoking at school more than once. All in all, from what I'd gathered, he was nothing but trouble.

He stepped away from the door. "Why would you let this door close? It automatically locks."

"I know that. Some other kids from school thought it would be hilarious to shut me in here."

"From school? What, you go to my same school?" He asked, almost seeing surprised.

"Oh, I see. You don't recognize me because you're too cool. I forgot about that." I grumbled, turning away. "I'm going to search for a way out even though there isn't one."

"There's no use in doing that, sweetheart."

I whipped around. "That's Rylee to you, buster."

"That's Kason to you, sweetheart." A smug smirk grew on his face as he spoke.

"You said you're not going to kill me, which gives me the opportunity to kill you instead." I snapped.

Kason let out a deep laugh. "You're adorable. That was like being threatened by a puppy."

I wasn't going to deal with him. I needed to find some way out. Mostly because I didn't want to be stuck with him all night. I turned on my heel and walked away.

"Come back when you give up." Kason called after me.

What a jerk. How could someone be like that immediately after meeting someone else?