15: What is going on?

Kason stared at me, and I couldn't tell what he was thinking. My heart was pounding as I stared back.

What the hell did we just do? Was everything messed up now? Was everything weird?

I finally seemed to wake up, and I pushed him back, getting him out of my way, and got to my feet. "This didn't happen." I said, shaking my head.

"Oh, but it did, sweetheart." Kason said, smirking victoriously.

"It didn't." I snapped, pointing at him. "Do you even realize what just happened?!" I was internally freaking out. Well, not so internally. I kissed him!

"I do. You purposely challenged me. I just won."

I gave him a serious look. "Not a word of this to anyone, you understand, Brooks? No. One. Must. Know."

"Ashamed of me?" He asked, still looking smug.

"Ashamed of myself." I corrected. "I was an idiot just now. I... I kissed you! What the hell was I even thinking?"

"You weren't, that's the point. If you're thinking your way into a kiss, something isn't right."

"Not helping here."

"Besides,"Kason's eyes moved over me slowly, "you shouldn't be ashamed. You're quite talented."

He was too. I had never been kissed like that before. It was... electrifying, thrilling. I shook my head. "That doesn't matter. This didn't happen according to... the entire world. I need your word, Kason."

He held his hand up, eyes serious. "No one will know. I promise."

I nodded. "Okay, good." I retreated toward the door. "I'm going to leave before I make another stupid move."

"Oh, so you're tempted to continue?"

I kept walking. "I'll see you around. I need air." I left the motel almost running. I couldn't believe it. I basically made out with him. What the hell, Rylee?

I walked rather blindly for at least an hour, trying to cool down. But my mind kept replaying that moment. With no other way to get Kason out of my head, I made the ultimate sacrifice and went home to do homework.

I sat at the kitchen counter staring at my Literature homework, tapping my pen on the counter at my brain struggled.

"What's got you so wound up?" Bridget asked as she came into the kitchen.

I stopped tapping my pen, sitting up a bit. "Just stressed, that's all."

She sat across from me. "It's not stress. With the way you're acting, it's a boy."

That took me by surprise. "How could you tell?"

She shrugged, taking a sip from her mug. "I've been a teenage girl before, you know. It's also instinct, I guess. Having boy troubles?"

I looked down. "Something like that."

"You want to tell me about it? I might have some advice." Bridget offered, for once sounding somewhat interested.

I didn't know what to do with the whole mess Kason and I created today, so some advice would be nice. But I was going to keep it vague. "Okay. There's this guy. I've sort of been friends with him for a little over a month. But it's not like a normal friendship. Anyway, uh..." I hesitated. This was weird to talk about with my foster mom.

"If you don't want to tell me, you don't have to." Bridget said, seeing my hesitation.

I decided it was okay. "No, it's fine. So this guy, we challenge each other all the time. Even if it's not an outright challenge, it still happens. We did that again today but it was... different."