22: A letter

White. That's all I felt. Was it possible to feel a color?

The white was abruptly shattered at the gunshot splitting the air, ghostly hands dragging me down, my air closing off. I tried breaking free, kicking and thrashing to escape.

Someone help me. Kason.

Everything grew loud, and I suddenly no longer felt I was floating.

"Hold her down!"

"Get her awake!"

Voices were surrounding me, machines whirred around me, hands held me down.

"Rylee, can you hear me?" A commanding, yet gentle female voice came.

I was suddenly aware that I was thrashing and struggling against several people. My vision was blurry and out of focus, but I could make out a small, well lit room. I was laying on a stiff bed. I slowly went still.

"What- what happened?" My voice was barely working, and it hurt to talk.

The figure above me, who I could tell had red hair, motioned, and the others holding me down let go. "Can you focus on me?"

I squinted at her blurry image. "I- I can't really see you."

"Turn off the lights." She ordered one of the other figures. The room darkened dramatically. "Is that better?"

I blinked a few times and slowly, my vision began adjusting. Now I could see. This was a hospital room. The woman in front of me was a doctor. "I can see."

"Good." She motioned to the nurses there and turned back to me as they began adjusting all the wires and other things all over me. "Do you remember what happened to you?"

My chest tightened. What happened to Kason? Was he okay? "I... I was shot."

"Okay, your memory wasn't damaged, that's good." The doctor pulled a chair over and sat down. She then offered me a glass of water, which I gladly took. "You've been here in a coma for four weeks, so your body is weak and will need time to adjust."

My eyes widened. "Four weeks?" So much could happen in that time. Was Kason okay? Or did Jacob... "Who brought me here?"

"A young man. He said he was a friend of yours, and that's all he would say. We took you in, and haven't seen him since."

That couldn't be good. It had to mean something happened to him. "Did he leave a- a number to contact him?"

The doctor shook her head. "I'm sorry, but no. Rylee, you've been here all this time and... no one has come to see you. Do you know where your family is?"

I looked down. "I don't have one. My foster parents disappeared a few days before I was shot. So I don't have anyone." This reminded me of years ago when I woke up in a hospital just like this. And just like before, I was completely alone.

"Actually, she does have someone." One of the nurses said. "That boy that brought her here left something."

My heart jumped. "What did he leave?"

The nurse grabbed a small cardboard box. "This. He said only you can open it."

I slowly took it from her. "Thank you."

"I'll send some food your way. You'll have to work up your strength again." The doctor got to her feet. "I'll let you adjust, and I'll come talk to you in awhile."

I could only nod as the nurses left with the doctor. The door closed, and I opened the box. I struggled a bit since my hands were so weak, but I got it open.