6: Luck? Who's she?

I was safe... I think.

A week and a half had passed since I overheard Kason talking to his... criminal buddy. I mean, I could be wrong about him being a criminal, but what what was I supposed to think? But I had successfully avoided him since then. And now, I was sure I was in the safe zone, meaning I was no longer in Kason's radar.

Avoiding him did cost, however. Anne wouldn't leave me alone about him. She constantly asked me what he was to me and why I was suddenly acting like he didn't exist. Though, that wasn't fully true.

For the first few days, everytime I saw him, I would immediately leave. Alright, I ran away like a coward, but it felt like the right move, for some reason. But it apparently worked since he hadn't bothered me once. So I was definitely safe now.

I found myself in this thought process now because I passed him in the hall, and he didn't spare me a glance. It was relieving. Everything was back to normal... Well, mostly.

Jackson was being weird. I did talk to Anne and found out she did like him, and when I passed this on to him, he sort of panicked. He quickly went from hanging around us constantly to never being seen even around school.

So, at this moment, I was on a mission to find him. He needed to stop being a chicken... Like me. But this was about him, not me.

After asking around almost all day, I finally got an idea of Jackson's location. According to almost everyone I asked, he was hiding out around the South side of the school where a group of guys were always playing frisbee. And they were all correct.

Jackson was sitting in the shade of a tree looking at his phone, and I marched over to him.

"Jackson, I think you've been hiding long enough." I declared, taking his phone from his hands.

"Rylee," he growled, "do you really have to be so annoying?"

I held the phone out of reach. "Yes. It's been a week. You need to talk to Anne. Ask her out. You asked for my help, well, you're getting it. Now get off your butt and go to her. She's in front of the library."

Jackson groaned. "Not right now."

"Why not?"

"Because she's... intimidating." He whispered the last part, looking away almost bashfully.

I bit down a laugh, knowing it would only make him feel worse if I let it slip. "I know asking someone out for the first time is scary. I've been there, I get it. But this is Anne we're talking about. You're already friends with her, so it's not like you won't have anything to talk about. And it's Anne. You know she's a gentle soul."

"I know, I know."

I crouched in front of him and handed back his phone. "Take her to that diner I told you about, and then go watch the sun set at the lake. She'll love it, trust me." I gave him a reassuring smile.

Jackson's mouth quirked. "Okay. Somehow your puppy eyes are convincing."

My brows furrowed. "What? I don't have puppy eyes."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't."

"You do."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever you say, James. Now go get that girl. I'll leave you both alone for the rest of lunch. You will not be disturbed." I got back to my feet. "Tell me how it goes later."

He chuckled. "Will do."

I was pleased to see him get up and head for the library as I walked away. Who knew this matchmaking thing would be so fun?