14: Whoa

I strolled up to the motel, trying not to drop the thick folder of papers I was carrying. Mr. Slater thought that because we did the project together that Kason and I were friends. So he sent me to bring him his homework.

I wasn't in the mood to see Kason. Another week had gone by, and he was still not coming to school. I wasn't upset that he wasn't telling me anything, I was just annoyed that I had to do this for him because he was being so irresponsible.

I entered the motel for the first time, and was surprised by the interior. The red carpet looked rather new, and the cream colored walls were clean and neatly decorated with landscape pictures. The front desk was clean and shiny as well. I was tempted to run my hand over the top of it.

I paused at the desk awkwardly, unsure of what to do. No one was there. Was I supposed to wait for someone and ask for his room? Or was I supposed to look for which room was his?

I waited for a few minutes, mostly to be polite. But no one came, and my patience was running out. I went down the nearest hall and began knocking on each door. It's not like I knew which one he was in. When no answer would come, I would move on to the next door.

I knew he was here, his car was outside. I stopped at a door near the back as I heard music coming through just barely. I knocked loudly. "Kason! I know you're in there!" Nothing. I knocked again.

Then the door unlocked and swung open, revealing Kason standing there shirtless. He was obviously tired and sweaty, and the music playing in the background was lively and loud. "What are you doing here?"

I forced my eyes to meet his. "Were you working out?"

Kason smirked, leaning against the door frame. "I was. Enjoying the view?"

I rolled my eyes. "Not anymore."

He laughed. Then he noticed the folder in my arms. "What's that?"

I shoved it into his hands. "Your school work."

"Oh." He carelessly tossed it onto the small table by the door and turned back to me. "Did you volunteer to bring it?"

"No, I was forced to. By the way, why in the hell are you not coming to school? It's been two weeks."

Kason let out a long sigh. "I don't usually attend school regularly. You just never noticed because we never spoke."

I raised an eyebrow. "Then why were you showing up so diligently before?"

"I have a pattern. I attend, and then I don't. It keeps me from getting expelled completely." He glanced down the hall. "Did you knock on every door?"

"Yes. It's not like I knew where you were staying." I muttered, crossing my arms. "So I was worried about you, and you were just... skipping school?"

"You were worried about me?"

"Kason, not the point here." I growled.

He held his hands up. "Okay, I got it. I wasn't just skipping school the first week. I had... things going on. I just decided not to go this week."

"And you couldn't bother to tell me that?"

"I didn't see the point."

I gave up. It was useless getting things through to him. "Whatever. Just don't make Jay watch me anymore."

Kason rolled his eyes. "He wasn't supposed to be noticed."

"He was very noticed. He stopped me from finding you the first week."

Kason's eyes grew serious. "Good. You don't want to get involved with anything, and he stopped you from doing just that."

I huffed. "It's annoying knowing your situation but not knowing anything else about it."