2: So... this is awkward

I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep until I was woken up by someone nudging my side. I groaned as my body complained, and squinted up at the person bothering me.

Kason nudged me with his foot again. "Oh, look at that. You're alive."

"You won't be if you keep doing that." I grumbled, pushing his foot away. I sat up and yawned. The sun was leaking through the boarded windows, but I couldn't tell what time it was.

"I figured you needed to be awake, or I wouldn't have bothered you." Kason opened his back pack and suddenly tossed something at me.

I caught it and looked down in confusion. "A granola bar? Why did you give this to me?"

A small laugh escaped him. "You're supposed to eat it, genius. We could be here for days, so you might as well."

I glanced at the granola bar warily.

"I didn't poison it, if that's what concerns you." Kason pulled out his pack of cigarettes.

"What about you?" I asked, tucking the food into my pocket for later. "Did you eat?"

Kason lit a cigarette and glanced at me. "I'm not going to bother."

"Why not?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

"And I'll ask more if you don't answer any of them."

Kason looked at me, scanning me up and down slowly. In the sunlight I noticed his eyes looked green. "Have you ever been told to mind your own business?"

"Have you ever been told to stop being a jerk?" I shot back.

"I'm always a jerk, get used to it." He continued smoking, not looking at me.

Well this was suddenly awkward. I got to my feet and brushed myself off, trying to avoid thinking about what I was sleeping on. "How did you know those people last night were bad news?"

Kason shook his head. "More questions."

"Just answer the question. I won't ask more if you do." I was, of course, lying.

He sighed, and I knew I won. "I know these parts, the people around here. No one from here is good news." A smirk slipped onto his face as he glanced at me. "That includes me."

"You're from around these parts?"

"You're not?"

I crossed my arms. "No."

"Then where are you from?"

"Nowhere." I said immediately. It was true. I came from nothing from nowhere.

"Nowhere? What's that supposed to mean?"

I smirked. "Now who's asking all the questions?"

"I'm only returning the favor."

"Sure." I looked down at his back pack. "Do you have anything that can help us get out of here?"

"No." Kason answered immediately.

"Lies." I challenged. "You have a lighter. All we need to do is light up those boards, and we're home free."

He turned to me fully. "We're not going to do that."

"Why not?" I glanced at the lighter in hand, and back at him. "I'm sure you don't want to be here forever."

"I don't."

"Then why won't you use the lighter? It's the best way out."

"Out of the question, sweetheart."