4: Keys snatched

As I walked to school the following day, I heard the unmistakable, beautiful sound of a Pontiac Catalina engine rumbling behind me and moving closer. I couldn't help admiring the car as it drove by. If it weren't for the person who drove it, it would have been a perfect sight. I would love to drive that car. Even for a minute.

I'd ridden in it briefly, sure, but it wasn't the same. I wanted to feel that power under my feet and in my control. It's one of the things I loved about driving and racing; the control of a well crafted machine.

"That is one good looking car." A voice suddenly said beside me.

I jumped. "Oh! Jackson, I didn't see you there."

He laughed a little. "I noticed. You physically stopped when that car drove by."

"Well can you blame me? It's too beautiful to ignore."

"Oh, you mean like you?" Jackson asked, giving me a flirtatious look.

I snorted. "Funny. You really need to stop with the flirting. We tried last year, and it's clear we don't work."

He set his arm around my shoulders, leaning against me. "Hey, I can't help flirting with you. It's in my nature to charm the ladies."

I laughed. "Whatever you say, Jackson James. But it's still not going to happen."

"Oh, I know." He acknowledged as we continued walking. "Your attention is on whoever was driving that car."

I gave him a strange look. "What do you mean? I was looking at the car, dummy."

"I know." Jackson smiled down at me. "But they are clearly someone after your own heart, considering they drive one of your favorite cars. I bet you would date whoever they are in a heartbeat."

Was he serious? Me dating Kason? I busted up laughing. It was completely genuine.

Jackson looked a bit concerned. "What? What did I say?"

I tried to respond as I folded forward from laughing so hard. "You- you-" my laughter interrupted me.

"What's going on here?" Anne's voice asked as her shoes appeared in my vision.

"I have no idea, I think I broke her. Help me, Anne." Jackson said, sounding completely baffled.

I took in several deep breaths to calm myself down. "I'm sorry, it's just-" I took a second to catch my breath again. "You said I would date whoever drives that car. It was hilarious."

Jackson still seemed confused. "How was that funny?"

"I know who drives that car. The thought of dating him is laughable... As I've just demonstrated."

Anne waved her hand in front of my face. "Focus here, Rylee. How do you know them? We know the same people."

I forgot to tell Anne about being trapped. Well, I told her briefly... vaguely. "Okay, so you know how I wasn't here the other day?"

Anne nodded. "You said you got stuck in a warehouse. What about it?"

Jackson looked down at me. "This sounds interesting. Spill."

"I wasn't actually alone. There was another guy there. We had nothing to do but talk to each other. And when we got out he gave me a ride home in that gorgeous car of his."

"Well who was it?" Anne pushed.

I smirked. "If you're so eager to find out, maybe I won't tell you."

She pushed my arm. "You can't do that. Who was it?"

"It's... Kason."

"Kason who?" Jackson asked.