Life is Good

I laid in my bed at home while on the phone with Ethan. He decided to called me like he does every night before he falls asleep. We shared the same flustered giggles at every "I love you." We had said.

"I'm really glad you've stayed so long." Ethan lamented. His hair was all messed up. You could see the outline of his face from a small light he had nearby. He was laying on his bed exhausted.

"Oh? Why's that?" I asked. He smiled and laid on his back.

"No one would have waited as long as you did for the opportunity to be with someone they love. Even if they were a good friend." He replied.

"I'd rather not have my feelings sabotage the friendship even if I knew deep inside that we'd never be together. I cared too much about you to ever leave just because you didn't feel the way I did. I feel that's selfish. Not to mention, we've been friends for years. I couldn't just leave even if I had wanted to." I told him.

"At least I know you won't leave me anytime soon. You're heart set on staying here, am I correct?"

"Yes. As long as you treat me right. Because I won't hesitate to dip if I waited two years to be with you for you to treat me like shit." I joked. He got a kick out of it.

"Ha, I won't do that to you. I cherish you a lot, baby." He said looking back at the camera with a wide smile.

A shiver was sent down my spine with those words. How does he know just the right ways to fluster me heavily? Does he know it makes me fall more in love with him?

"Hey." He called out to me. I snapped out of the trance he put me in.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I'm getting real tired. I think I might hang up and go to bed." He answered.

"That's fine."

"I'll text you in the morning, kay?"

"That works." I replied.

"Great. I love you, Y/N. Goodnight." He smiled before hanging up the call.

I sat up slowly from my bed, rubbing my eyes harshly. I was sleepy myself. I still had to edit a video explaining my disappearance and incident.

I had recorded it with Ethan at his house. Plus, making the announcement on there that we were together. Not many people know right now seeing that we only told mutuals and the video isn't even out yet.

I shuffled to the kitchen to make myself a mocha. I tried to keep it down since it was late. Chica came running over with a big happy smile on her face. While my coffee was brewing, I reached up into the cabinet for her treats.

"Want some?" I asked her. She panted sitting down.

I pulled out a few and laid them on the floor for her. She quickly ate them faster than I expected. It brought a big smile to my face. I rubber her head and turned back to the counter.

My phone began to ring mid brew. Is Ethan having a hard time falling asleep? I checked who was calling and practically rushed outside. Completely forget my coffee on the kitchen counter.

I quietly swung open the balcony door and shut it behind me. I answered excitingly.

"Y/N! I'm so glad you picked up! Mark told me everything! How are you doing? You remember me right? I would hope so! Also, sorry for the late call. I completely forgot it was dark for you."

"It's okay! I remember you, Seán..." I smiled wide. "Mark didn't shut up about you on the car ride. My memory isn't too bad actually. I've began to remember some tiny details, which is progress."

"That's great! How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Still some pain from my ribs. Not to mention I practically rushed outside just to answer. I was in the middle of making coffee when you called. I'm gonna be editing tonight so I wanted something to keep me up for just a little longer." I told him.

"Aha, I felt that. Just don't push yourself, child."

"I won't father." I giggled. "How are you?"

"I've been doing good. Miss everyone a lot. I might stop by for the holidays. It'll be really nice to see everyone." He said.

"That's still in two months." I whined.

"Well of course I wanna come before that. Ethan's birthday is soon right?" He asked.

"Yeah, three weeks. Oh by the way! I have some news for you." I began.

"Ooo~? What is it?"

"Well, you know the whole situation with me and Ethan on the romantic scale?" I reminded him.

"Yeahhhhhh?"

"He finally made it official." I squealed.

"Congrats! I'm so happy for you two! It's about fucking time too!" Seán laughed on the other end.

"I agree! He's really been there for me after the accident. I just really love him. I wanna do something special for his birthday."

"Well I'm definitely coming down to visit! I have to see you! It's been too long! Then Pax East and Vidcon!"

"Pax East this upcoming year will be so much fun! I can't wait to see everyone!" I said.

"Me too." He chuckled. "I'll let you go now. I'm really glad you're doing well, Y/N. Please take care of yourself. You need to heal so don't push it. I'm your father so you have to listen to me."

"Alright. Just because you're my dad."

"Boogie woogie woogie~." He sang. The two of us laughed to ourselves before returning to our goodbyes.

"Alright. Thank you, Seán." I said.

"Of course. Goodnight, child." He replied softly and hung up. I smiled to myself.

I directed my attention to the night sky above and in front of me. My robe flowed in the wind behind me. My hair doing the same. It was a chilly night.

For the first time in a long while, I felt at ease. The pain I was enduring couldn't even get in the way of how relaxing it was just to lean against the railing of our balcony and stare at the city lights.

And to think I'd never be able to experience this if I never woke up. The beauty of life. The people I share it with. It's all the reasons I need to stay.

I never truly gave thought to how much the people around me cared. I didn't know if it was out of pity or genuine affection. Still, I'm ever so grateful for it. If I never woke up, if I died in that coma, Ethan, Mark, Amy, Seán, and so many more of my friends and family would be devastated.

I never want to have to scare them like that again. It's already scary to think that Ethan saw it all happen. The impact. The aftermath. Yet he still cares and thanks the gods every day that I'm breathing. He's very thoughtful.

And Mark, the only brother I need. Andrew was looking out for me by bringing Mark into my life, letting me get close to him. And Amy being my big sister, always there for girl moments. I appreciate her.

Seán too. My father. Even from thousands of miles away, he still finds time to call me and check up. I couldn't even get a five second call from my biological parents to tell me my brother had passed away. But Seán can stay on and talk about trains for four hours and not be bothered at all. I bet he wishes he was there to help me though my big healing process when this all went down.

I'm going to stay. I'm going to stay for them. I'm not gonna hurt myself. I never thought I'd have a close to death experience like that. And the pain is more hurtful than some cuts in my arm. I am grateful I can still breathe and continue to live my life. This is home.