• 16 •

Luke yawned lightly as he carried his bag through the hallway. Barely had he sat down when the bell for break was rung.

"Did it take that much time?" Kunle asked with a smile and Luke shook his head.

"Let's go to cafeteria. Right now, I am really hungry" Luke said as he dropped his bag and slipped his hands into his pockets.

"I thought you weren't coming to school today. You came late than normal" Shade said and Luke nodded.

"I'm hungry so don't let me waste my energy talking" Luke said and Shade laughed slightly as she joined them on their walk towards the cafeteria.

The students on the long line gave way for Luke as he approached. One of the staff selling snacks gave Luke an expressionless look.

"You are cutting the line" she said firmly.

"Two hamburgers and a bottle of cold soda" Luke said and the lady didn't budge making Luke turn to her.

"I'm not in the best of my mood so just take my order" Luke said and yet the lady didn't budge.

Another staff quickly took Luke's order and gave Luke his tray of snacks.

"You just made my mood worsen a lot" Luke said as he stared at the lady who was still looking at him calmly. His eyes drifted to her name tag and he chuckled.

"Stephen Amaka? You are new bah?" Luke asked.

"Yes" the lady replied and Luke nodded.

"I take it that you don't like your work" Luke said as he turned to the tray of snacks.

"I suddenly lost my appetite" Luke said as he turned to Amaka.

"What are you going to do about it?" He asked and Kunle reached for his hand as he grabbed him and pushed him out of the cafeteria.

"Wait for me here" Kunle said as he walked back into the cafeteria. Everyone was still looking at what was going to happen.

Kunle frowned at the lady who was still wearing a defiant expression. She snapped at another staff who tried to talk to her.

"I don't care who he is!" She snapped and Kunle chuckled.

"Miss Stephen, do you realize that every place, school, church, mosque, bar and even a club house has rules? Here in Preston, we as well have our rules and among the students, we also have our own rules" Kunle said as Amaka raised her chin proudly.

"Yes, I know and your friend clearly broke the rule. He was cutting the line" Amaka said and Kunle laughed.

"You are getting it all wrong miss. Not just among the students, among the staff and even in Preston, Luke is a rule" Kunle said as he tapped the glassy slab.

"Will you believe me if I tell you that if he says no student or staff should approach your counter to order for a snack, no one will? Even the Bull won't" Kunle said as he sighed.

"Don't ever get on his nerves okay?" Kunle said as he rubbed his forehead. "This advice would have been pretty much useful for you but you might get fired later so there's no need for an extra advice" Kunle said as he turned to the students.

"Don't order from her counter" he said and walked away.

The students in front of Amaka's counter started joining and forming lines at other counters. Nobody dared walk up to her counter. The students were still buying something when they saw a staff walk up to Amaka and give her a white envelope.

Amaka's face widened in horror when the staff finished speaking and she turned to where Kunle had pushed Luke out.

The students needed no one to tell them what had happened. No one rarely got on Luke's nerves, so incidences like that never happened.

Everyone stayed away from him and he stayed away from people. No one had gotten on his bad side in a while. Everyone looked at Kunle who later walked in with Shade in awe, and yet again, Adele-Akinniyi Luke has shown his power.
.
.
.
.
.

Luke grumbled as he walked towards his usual spot in the garden. He touched his stomach and poured. He hissed lightly as he lied on his back.

"Just why did she have to get on my nerves?" Luke asked no one in particular as he rolled his eyes.

Today was just going bad. First a newbie had challenged him almost embarrassing him and now a newbie worker getting on his nerves and making him lose his appetite for a short while.

Luke gritted his teeth. He hated newbies.

"Snr Luke"

Luke sat up startled at the voice. His eyes masked his surprise when he saw Ewatomi standing few meters away from him.

"What are you doing here? This is not your zone. You know it's dangerous right?" Luke asked and Ewatomi nodded.

"It used to be dangerous but no any longer" Ewatomi said with a small smile.

"What makes you think it's no longer dangerous?" Luke asked and Ewatomi shrugged.

"I'm under your care. Who would dare touch me?" Ewatomi said and laughed slightly.

"Besides I came to look for you so it was impossible to run into Seniors like Snr James and others" Ewatomi added as she sat on the cemented stone.

Luke's lips curled up lightly before he chuckled "You came to look for me?" He asked and Ewatomi nodded and pursed her lips.

"I saw you at the cafeteria. You seemed quite hungry so I bought you hamburgers and soda" Ewatomi said as she stretched a paper bag to Luke.

"You heard my order?" He asked slightly surprised.

"Hmmm.....my friend was beside you so she heard. I just asked her what you ordered and she told me" Ewatomi said and Luke collected the paper bag and sat beside her.

He slowly opened the paper bag and brought out an hamburger. He bit into it slowly as he munched on it. He unscrewed the cover of the soda and took a few gulps.

He instantly felt refreshed and he turned to Ewatomi.

"Thank you"