Fifteen.

"Nowadays, music speaks to us better than people."

this picture seems so deep, yet sincere to me. I find it quite sweet, tbh. :)

15||

"I'm full," The little boy, who's named I'd learned was Ray, told Zero. He was rubbing his stomach, automatically making me smile.

"Are you sure?" Zero asked, looking at Ray. With a smile, Ray nodded.

I had to stop myself from breaking down right then and there. I couldn't believe such a tragic thing was happening to such a sweet little boy, and so many other people out there. Cancer was terrible and I couldn't imagine what goes through Ray's head. He probably doesn't even know what was happening. And what pisses me off was the fact that after his parents found out that he was diagnosed with cancer, they left him on the doorstep of this place. I cried listening to that story from Mrs. Panini.

"Can I have a hug, Janine?" Ray asked, peeking up at me from his little stool. My heart's pace accelerated.

"Of course," I told him, holding out my arms. He stood up and maneuvered through my legs to wrap his arms around my neck.

I wasn't sure how long he and I were there hugging. But, what I was sure of was how Zero stared at us both, intensely. His arms were crossed over his chest as he leaned against the back of the chair. His face had an unreadable expression.

Zero exhaled, standing up. When he stretched, I couldn't help that my eyes automatically wandered to where his shirt rode up, showcasing an intricate and honestly, beautiful tattoo. My eyes obviously wandered there a bit too long, because he said..

"Eyes up, perv." It was the first time he'd ever used a teasing tone with me. I found myself looking down and blushing. The sound of him chuckling had my head snapping up extremely fast and staring wide eyed at him. When he noticed me staring, his lips were suddenly in a taut line.

"It's time to go." He told me. Everything back to normal, his hard tone, unreadable expression and as usual, his hotness. I rolled my eyes.

"Are you guys leaving?" Ray asked as his head rested upon my chest.

"Yeah, buddy." Zero said, coming to kneel in front of Ray, which technically meant he was leaning in front of me too. "I'm sorry," He apologized.

"It's okay, guys. Once you come back." I could hear the smile in his cute voice.

"Of course we'll come back." I assured him. Just then, Zero's eyes met mine. He cocked his eyebrow. I was pretty sure it was because I'd said "we". But, I didn't care. He couldn't expect me to meet an amazing little boy such as Ray and many other extraordinary souls and not come back.

"Great!" Ray exclaimed. I could hear excitement, yet exhaustion seeping through his tone.

"Buddy, are you tired?" Zero questioned him, touching his shoulder lightly. I only felt when Ray nodded into my chest. "Give him here." He ordered.

I picked Ray up and gave him to Zero as gentle and soft mannered as I could. When Zero took him, he held him like he was the most fragile thing ever, and he seemed to be so. I hated how all of this had me softening up to Zero somewhat, but I couldn't help it.