The diary

chapter 8

Fifteen more minutes to go until 12 am and here I am all ready; to get what will help me bring my pals back to this world. Yes the diary, in fact Dr. Mathew's 'personal diary'. So the plan's pretty simple; all I have to do is wait until midnight when most probably all the neighbors are asleep and I'll break into doctor's house and steal the diary.

So I have got my leather gloves, black mask and of course my set of pocket knives to break through the gate. Somewhere deep inside I'm shaking, my heart constantly pounding. "Okay I'm nervous; Kathleen Relax! Rel-aXXX!"

As before, got the bus to the city and this time without asking I reached straight to Mathew Skills house. The ramshackle edifice was giving goose bumps; there was a constant fear of being watched sometimes by the neighbor and sometime by the phantoms. I reached my pocket and got the knives out, without making any noise I insert them one by one into the door lock. Luckily one of the scalpels pierced through the lock then slowly I twist it and 'whoop' the door opened. After-all this happens when you spend your childhood playing with the kids of locksmith. The moment the door slung open I was swollen with pride. "Hah! Mama will be proud of you!" I thought to myself while swirling the set of knives on my finger.

Little did I know what will happen next; I pushed the gate and stepped in. My feet trembled once I paced in. "Come on Kate! You can do it." I collected my oomph and slammed the door after me.

Just like other horror stories, there was no light inside so, my fingers ran for the switchboard. Lucky but not so lucky I found the board but when I turned on the buttons no bulb glowed. "Ughhh!! Why is every haunted place out of voltage?" I thought. My next move was to find some luminous source. I toured the lounge with witty footsteps, banging with every item on my way. The only glow was the moon; radiating in the dark sky and penetrating through the window. The moonlight was of no help other than gust of a feeling that at least someone's with me.

My feet banged to a table and to stop myself from falling I grabbed the table, my whole weight relying upon that slab; "Ouch! Careful lady you can't afford an injury in middle of midnight." My hands slipped to the corner of that furniture and I felt something waxy and sticky. "A Candle!" I murmured to myself. My face glowed with excitement very next to it was a matchbox, I lit the candle with a match stick and the whole room glowed like a 14th day moon (of lunar calendar). The glowing candle-stand in my hand while I swirled it around to have a preface of the room I was in. Dense spider webs on each corner trapping any pest roving around. Old furniture crooked from sides, the whole area spoke of the sufferings it was going through past years. I moved further and entered the lounge the furniture was covered in white sheets with an enormous dining table in centre. A crystal Chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The room also had a mahogany bookshelf which was half way eaten up by the woodlice. Even the termites were fed on few of the books Dr. Skills had on his ledge.

"The diary must be among these books, I have to find it as soon as possible..." I searched the book rack but nothing seemed to aid me. "Hmm where is it doctor? Where...?" I shouted to myself eventually so exhaust by this time. The fastest way to find was to turn the place upside down; I grabbed few books and threw them elsewhere on the ground grasped more and repeated the phase until a heavy manuscript got my hand.

"Well this seems what I'm looking for." It was a long forgotten script, sunken deep into dust. A blow from my mouth and the filth all around the air. I coughed several times to get out of the impact, and then I took the journal and sat on a chair placed next to the shelf. "Secrets of the black mirrors" was engraved on the front page with an actual black mirror glued beneath. I opened the book to have a glance of writings it contained but the moment I begin scanning it with my eyes wide open, a strong gust of cold air hit me from behind. I shivered to my spine. "What kind of sensation was that?" my whole body responded. To calm myself down I took a lung full of air and released. This inhalation helped me a bit; on the contrary my sixth sense was constantly clicking at the background.

I randomly opened and started to read from an anonymous paragraph. The more I read the deeper I was taken into the book. It seemed as if I was no longer in a strangers house, all my tensions were forgotten and my worries kept aside, I felt as light as air. Sunken to the bottom of the letters imprinted in black ink. Each word has its own story and a tale of spirits who have escaped long before. THUShHHh! A loud thud echoed the room banging a bowl placed on window sill. My vertebrae all erect and rigid, struggling to breathe and eyes wide open. Seconds later I hastily turned around and there it was a big mouse in motion. "Ufffff!" I sighed. "This place is not a good sight to be in Kate, let's get out'a here." I grasped the diary and without turning back abandoned the haunted house forever.