Chapter 49: Sisters

Li Xiao's hands held grocery bags as she came around the corner. Looking at the one hundred-step stairs in front of her, Li Xiao subconsciously frowned.

Since the day Li Yan fell down, she tried not to come here. If she had to pass through here, she would choose to go the long way around it.

But the sky was already getting dark today. If she did not want to go through the hundred-step stairs, she would have to go through the road on the side of the mountain. The mountain road seemed to be a little dark and there were several street lights on the way that were broken. She didn't dare to walk around the mountain by herself.

She looked at the hundred-step stairs shining beneath the street light. Her grip on the plastic bags tightened as she lifted her foot onto the step.

Li Xiao and Li Yan's families had a very good relationship, so when the time came for them to buy a house, they specially bought houses in neighborhoods that were fairly close to each other.

When the two families had nothing to do, they would knock on each other's door. If there were any problems, the two families could also look after one another. Li Xiao would run between the two houses to stay at Li Yan's house every three days.

But after Li Yan was discharged after her accident, Li Xiao had not been to her home for a long time.

Standing before the one hundred-steps stairs was a woman. When the faint light from the street lamp hit her, it made the silhouette of her back seem like she was floating.

Li Xiao unconsciously stopped in place. She was certain that there was no one there when she looked a moment ago. No, this was not the most important detail, the most important thing was why did this person's back look so similar to Li Yan's?

She still remembers the night of Li Yan's accident. Li Yan had also been wearing the same woman's one-piece dress - navy blue and preppy-styled. Her black hair had reached down to her waist and the ends of her hair had curled into small ringlets.

Li Xiao stared blankly at the figure's back for a minute. She stood beneath the street light, motionless.

"Cousin?" Li Xiao took a step forward and tried calling out to her. She had heard her parents say that Li Yan had recently found a job. Could it be that she just got off work and was going home?

The woman beneath the street light did not respond. Li Xiao called her yet again and walked and stopped half a meter away from the woman. The atmosphere around them was somehow inexplicably strange.

If it weren't for the fact that this woman's back looked so similar to Li Yan's, she would've pretended that she hadn't seen anything and walk past quickly.

Raising her right foot, Li Xiao was ready to walk forward to have a closer look, when suddenly, the woman fell forward and rolled down the one hundred-step stairs! Li Xiao's scare was not light. Her hands suddenly loosened and the plastic bags fell with a thunk onto the concrete pavement.

Groceries scattered onto the ground as Li Xiao rushed quickly to the first step. Standing where the woman had just stood a moment ago, she looked down.

There was nobody there.

She had just clearly seen a woman fall down, but there was nothing there.

"Are you looking for me?" A woman's voice came coldly from behind. Its gloomy tone made Li Xiao's heart rate quickly pick up. All the horror movies she had seen replayed in her brain in one moment, like a clip of a collection of ghost scenes.

Li Xiao shivered, panting heavily as she turned and tried to run – but the same figure stood in front of her, except this time it was floating in midair.