part 6 || what a sight

Hinata woke up first that morning. He turned to the bright light that was shining from the window, and turned away just as quickly. Looking down on his chest as he felt a weight on it, he saw Kozume sleeping peacefully. All this time, Hinata thought it was a dream, but it wasn't.

Hinata carefully pulled out from under Kozume, and just watched him sleep while laying on his stomach. Hinata was thinking about Tsukishima's words from earlier, and realized that his pessimistic friend might be right. All of that was quickly off his mind when he saw Kozume shuffling around, stretching a little bit, which now turned him on his back, and turned his head to face Hinata.

What a sight.

"Hi." Kozume smiled at Hinata. Hinata smiled right back, not even bothering to hide his expression from Kozume.
"Hi." Hinata copies Kozume's tone. He didn't do it on purpose, but it just happens when he's with someone he likes. He does it a lot with his little sister, Sugawara, and Tsukishima. Kozume closed his eyes, the smile still on his face, and put his right arm over his eyes.

"How long have you been awake for?" Kozume asked quietly. His morning voice sounded raspy, but gentle. In his non-often morning streams, the girls would go crazy over his voice. Kozume just never really read the live chat.
"About five minutes, give or take. I was thinking." Hinata responded. Kozume froze for a moment, because Hinata's morning voice changed, from what he gathered.

It used to be a little rough, but it was gentle. Now, it seems as if his voice dropped a whole octave in the morning, and his voice sounded raspy. Maybe, in Kozume's thoughts, it would just be better to get up and make breakfast, and not fall under Hinata's spell. Kozume still remembered the dark times of the Hinata's harem. Everyone, and their mom, was charmed by Hinata in one way or another. For some it might've been compassion and the sweet personality, for others it might've been the beauty and the body, or maybe the innocence he used to carry around. Kozume never really liked the idea of others staring at Hinata, but he had to deal with it nonetheless.

"Thinking about what?" Kozume asked, turning his head to his best friend once more. This time, Hinata was propping himself up on his elbows and playing with the rings that were hugging his fingers. He was close to Kozume, and if anyone walked in, it might as well look seductive. Blush found its way to Kozume's nose, but all he did was fix the pillows under his head.
"Something Tsukki said. I'm thinking he was right, and I hate admitting it because, well, it's Kei. Who the hell wants to give him the satisfaction of being right?" Hinata and Kozume laughed at the last question, knowing how Tsukishima gets when he proves he's right.

"Well, what was he right about?" Kozume's curiosity sparked with the words Hinata chose earlier.
"Nope. Not telling you." Hinata said as he leaned forward, and then quickly shuffled up to his feet on the side of the bed. That kind of shocked Kozume, but not enough to stop pestering Hinata.
"Oh come on. Tell me!" Kozume got up, and followed Hinata out of the bedroom. When Kozume walked out into the hallway, Hinata was already making coffee where Kozume's coffee machine was. Hinata picked a mug that had a teddy bear on it. It was Kozume's favorite set, consisting of only two mugs, both with teddy bears, and Kozume never let anyone drink from them.

Hinata poured the hot coffee into the mug, and then pulled out another for his best friend. The same one, and when Hinata realized, he smiled. He loved matching with Kozume, he didn't really know why, but it always brought him a sense of accomplishment. Kozume never really matches with people, or sleeps next to people, or has morning coffee with people. He doesn't like crowds, or company in the morning. He would rather work, game, and be with his two cats. Kozume never complained about Hinata, however, and it always made him feel special that Kozume is willing to go out of his comfort zone just for Hinata. He loved it.

"Hey, Kenma. Come here." Hinata turned around and stretched his arms out for Kozume. Kozume stood where he was, confused. So, he asked his confusion away.
"Why?" Kozume really couldn't think of an answer, but it should've been obvious.
"I haven't seen you in years. I want a hug. A long hug. Hug me Neko-chan." Hinata was just doing grabby hands at this point, waiting for the shorter man to come to him. As soon as Kozume heard that nickname, he couldn't resist. He walked straight into his embrace. Hinata smelled like japanese cherries. Kozume only smiled, and hugged on tighter as him and Hinata swayed back and forth.

"Can I ask you a question?" Kozume broke their silence.
"Anytime." Hinata answered.
"Do you want to meet my cats? They're at an overnight vet visit." Kozume stated.
"I'll drive us to pick them up. You still suck at driving." Hinata teased his best friend.
"Hey! No way I do not! Who told you that?" Kozume fought back, pulling away from Hinata's embrace completely, and moving back to sit on a bar chair, making Hinata frown because he wanted a longer hug.

"Kenma-chan. Why did you move away?" Hinata whined at his best friend. As he began walking forward to Kozume, Kozume put his leg up, His food up against Hinata's chest, where he could feel the muscles, making Hinata stay in place, and look down, letting his hands drop, acting out a dramatic defeat.
"Because you're mean. Bold, considering you haven't seen me in almost five years." Kozume teased back, but it looks like Hinata had other plans.

Hinata lifted his head, and gently wrapped his hands around Kozume's leg, pulling it off chest, and moved it to the side so that he could come to Kozume, and embrace him tight.
"I'm so sorry. I know I should've kept in contact. I know I should've called you. I know I should've talked to you. I kept tabs on you. I almost always knew where you were and what you were doing. I thought you didn't want to talk to me because I left to go to the States. You didn't answer any of my messages for the first two weeks. I should've tried harder. I'm sorry. I will never repeat that again." Hinata was tearing up at this point, and his embrace around Kozume was tight, with one of his hands going through Kozume's hair, in the way he knew Kozume loved.

Kozume was at a loss of words. He didn't mean for that to turn serious. He knew Hinata didn't mean it. He knew that he should've tried harder too.
"Shōyō, I should've tried harder too. It's not just on you, it's on both of us. I didn't answer you because I was crying my eyes out daily and I didn't wanna cry on the phone with you because I knew you'd turn around and come straight back. I knew how much that experience meant to you, so I kept quiet. You're back though, you're with me. You're back in Tokyo, and you're in my apartment, you're hugging me, and you're about to change your clothes so that we can go get my cats. Let's go, Shōyō." Kozume smiled, and kissed Hinata's cheek before pulling him into his bedroom, and then to the walk in closet.

"You have so many clothes Kenma... I never took you for a fashionista." Hinata jokes around with a bright smile again. He knew that Kozume could pull of any match of clothes, because he's known about his fashion sense since high school. Kozume could never express it with his stupid anxiety, and the ugly school uniforms he had to deal with.
"Oh shut up, you liar. You know I can dress." Kozume smirked, and went straight to pick something out for his best friend. When they were both dressed, they grabbed their necessities and were on their way to the veterinary hospital.