Chapter 25

Melody looked out the window watching the trees go by. She couldn’t be happier. She was in Oregon visiting Riley’s family with him. She glanced over at Riley who was driving them somewhere. His hand was resting on her thigh and she sighed as the air whipped her hair around. He looked at her and smiled. He pulled over on the side of the road in a small lot. They got out and walked hand in hand down to a pebble beach. Even though the water was too cold to go swimming Melody loved the view and that salty smell you could only get from the ocean. They walked along the beach until Riley stopped. Melody looked up and saw the lighthouse in the sketch he had given her for her birthday.

“Wow, it looks just like your drawing.”

Riley didn’t say anything just smiled. He was used to being praised for being athletic and fawned over by girls just because of his looks...but when it came to his art it was unusual. He had been drawing since he was in high school. It’s one reason he wanted to go to school for architecture. He loved designing and sketching out a new building idea. He never really showed anybody his work except his professors anymore. He had felt so relieved and proud when he had given Melody a sketch for her birthday and she had loved it. He looked at her and couldn’t stop himself from smiling. He was sad that tomorrow he had to go back to campus for the summer semester without her. He led the way back to the car. He had one more place to visit before they headed back. 

Melody was confused when Riley pulled into a cemetery and parked on the side of the lane. He got out of the car without a word, she followed. She was confused but it started to dawn on her as she looked at the small headstones and studied the dates. Riley stopped in front of one and Melody wrapped her arms around him before looking at the little gravestone that read Abigail. They stood there in silence. 

“She would have been three today.”

Melody’s heart broke. She couldn’t imagine losing someone so special and before even getting to meet them. There were fresh flowers on the grave. She assumed Abigail’s mother had already been there to visit. 

“It’s been years since I’ve been here. My mom can’t bring herself to come back since the little service we had for her. I thought it was crazy to buy a grave site when there was no one to bury, but now I know why she did it. It’s nice to have a place to visit her. I know I didn’t really give you a choice but thank you for coming with me.”

“There’s nowhere I’d rather be.”

“I love you.”

Melody thought he was talking to Abigail until she looked up and saw him looking at her. Her heart started racing. She knew she was falling in love with him but never imagined he felt the same way. She watched as he rubbed the back of his neck and looked up to the sky. She reached up and pulled his face towards her. She looked him in the eye before kissing him. 

“I love you too!” 

------------

How is your day going babe? -M

I’m pretty sore. Helped Landon move into his new place and had team workouts today. I need to take a run but I think I’m going to bed. -R

Wish I could curl up with you...maybe massage those sore muscles. -M

If you were here I wouldn’t get in my run or sleep. But I miss having you in my arms when I fall asleep. I was thinking about something...would you want to get a place just off campus this fall instead of staying in the dorms? -R

You mean...live together? -M

Yeah. We might have to rent a place with other roommates but yeah...if you don’t want to I understand...Landon gave me the idea today while we were moving his stuff. -R

Landon suggested it? -M

Yeah we had discussed moving out of the dorms last year until he found out you were moving on campus and he wanted to stay...I did too -R

I’d love to! Zoe is going to be pissed. -M

I was thinking if you wanted she could be a roommate. The place I looked at has three bedrooms and if we split rent three ways it will be easy to afford. -R

You’ve already started looking? Before you asked me? Did you assume I’d just say yes -M

No but I hoped you would. I hate to say good night but I have an early class tomorrow so I’m going to bed. -R

Good night babe I love you! -M

Good night My Sweets! I love you too -R

A/N
Sorry the past couple of chapters have been kind of fillers. But also big...landon found out, they said the L word...im at a point in the story where i know where the characters are going just haven’t figured out how to get there...need to find some drama too...

Pls continue to read, vote, and comment!!! Thank you!