Chapter 30

---WEEK OF SILENCE---

Riley was walking home from the gym. He had gotten home late the night before and slept in so he hadn't seen Melody before she had left for work. As much as he wanted to see her and hold her he couldn't bring himself to wake her last night. She had texted him saying she was home and he couldn't wait to get back. When he walked into the house he saw her sitting on their new couch reading a book. Once she realized he was standing there she jumped up and wrapped her arms around his neck. He hugged her tight and took a deep breath, he was home. When she didn’t pull away after some time he started to feel something was wrong. He pulled away to look at her face, she seemed pale, and on the verge of tears.

"Melody whats wrong?" 

In the back of his mind he knew but couldn't bring himself to even think it.

"I-I…" a tear ran down her cheek. "I'm late."

"SHIT!" He threw the water bottle he had been holding across the room and it hit the wall.

He watched her try and hide her tears as she took off to her room. He wanted to break something, he wanted to collapse in tears, he wanted to run...but he just stood there, lost. 

He didn't know how much time had passed before he was able to function. He knew how this all went. He had been here before. He walked to her bedroom door and knocked. When she didn't answer he went to open it. It was locked. He slid down the door and sat on the floor. He would wait.

He must have drifted off because he woke up to a blanket being draped over him. He looked up into her red puffy eyes and instantly hated himself. He grabbed her hand and pulled her down to his lap. He wrapped her in the blanket with him and held her. 

"I'm sorry."

Her fragile voice broke his heart. He put his finger under her chin and made her look at him. 

"This is not your fault. If anyone is to blame it's me. I knew better."

"But we took precautions…"

"I know. Have you told anyone else?"

She shook her head.

"I almost told Zoe but I couldn't."

"Ok, have you taken a test?"

"Not yet but I'm a week late and it's always on time….I just…"

Her voice was cracking and Riley tried to calm her.

"Shhh...it's ok. We can make an appointment with the doctor...crap tomorrow is Sunday...so Monday. We can get a test from the store but it's probably too early for those to be accurate. Just let me know what you want to do."

"Can we wait to see a doctor...I know it means waiting…"

"Ok I'll call first thing Monday."

He held her sitting on the floor in the hallway until she calmed down enough to fall asleep. He carried her to her bed and covered her up. He stared at her sleeping. Now that the initial shock had worn off he started thinking about what it would be like to have a baby with her. His chest tightened at the image in his mind of her playing with a little one. But the happy thought was short lived until he thought about their schooling, jobs, his football schedule, she still had three year of college at least...how would a baby fit in to all that… He went back into the living room and grabbed his phone. He called the one person that would listen to him and understand.