Character 47

Melody let the tears fall. She knew she would leave a wet spot on Riley’s shirt. After a moment she felt his hand lift her face to look at him. He was smiling down at her. This confused her. Fear, anger, disappointment...these emotions she was expecting and had guarded herself for. 

"You're not angry?"

"Oh My Sweets, I am far from angry."

She was surprised and felt the hope bloom in her chest. 

"I told you a while ago that I had done a lot of thinking about this. I threw out my one rule because I wanted you. I knew I wanted you forever and in every way. I decided to take it one day at a time. I knew when the time came that you wanted more I'd give in, damn the consequences. And the stress that first month was rough but it got easier. I bought a house today knowing it would be OUR first home together.  I want to marry you...I've known that for awhile. I had planned to wait until after graduation." He laughed.

Melody couldn’t hold back the tears. They continued to pour down her face. But she was smiling up at him. 

"I was afraid you'd be mad. When I took the tests and knew it was for real this time I panicked. I wanted to tell you but…"

"Sweets it's ok! This was perfect. I love you and can't wait to meet our little one!"

Melody was speechless. He was taking the news too well. 

"I promise I'm still going to finish school. Thanks to my advisor's help my schedule for this year will allow me to graduate in the spring."

"Slow down. Going to school and working while pregnant isn't going to be easy...I don't know if you should push it with the double schedule."

"I've thought about it. I'm going to try….if i have to drop some classes and take another semester that's fine. But I want to try."

He was beaming at her before he picked her up and kissed her again. She was a little sad when he put her down. She loved being in his arms. Before she knew what was happening she watched as he dropped to one knee.

"Melody Nicole Mitchell I know you've asked me this twice now...and you can claim you asked me first and tease me the rest of our lives. But I'm asking you, for my own frail ego, will you marry me?"