Chapter 33

A few weeks had gone by since her doctor visit. She was surprised how busy she constantly was. As a sophomore she had finally settled on a major and her classes were getting tougher. Between classes, homework, and the bookstore Melody was happy she lived with Riley and Zoe or else she would never see them. Riley’s class load was worse, add in workouts and practices and games, etc. Zoe seemed to have a lot more free time on her hands. Melody enjoyed most of her classes and loved her job at the bookstore. She also had to add that mother nature had finally visited. It was a welcome relief, no matter what the doctor said.

Campus was a buzz of activities for Homecoming weekend. Melody was excited because Riley’s family was coming to visit and Landon was going to spend the weekend at their house. She missed Landon more than she would admit to anyone. She was also looking forward to some time away from work and class work. But at the same time there was an unspoken tension between Melody and Riley that made her nervous. She wasn’t ready to admit something was wrong but deep down she knew there was. She was floating in the pool staring up at the blue sky thinking about things when she was suddenly splashed. She straightened up and saw Landon’s face coming up from underwater. She laughed and splashed him back. 

“Hey M&M how's it going?”

“Ugh...I thought you were going to stop calling me that.”

“Nah, you love it too much.”

She rolled her eyes. 

“So where’s everybody at?”

“I don’t know where Zoe is but Riley is picking up his mom and brother from the airport.”

“Oh yeah. Sucks Archer couldn’t make it. You guys have any big plans?”

“Tonight we are having dinner with his family. I was thinking about having a little party here after the game. Nothing crazy, just a few friends. You can invite some of your football friends but don’t get out of hand or you’ll be the one cleaning up the mess. And I mean it Landon! I want a small get together.”

“Okay, cool. I haven’t been to a party in months. I honestly don’t miss it.”

Melody got out of the pool. She wrapped up in a towel and sat down. Landon rested his arms on the edge of the pool by her. 

“You good?”

Melody looked up at him, confused.

“Yeah why?”

“You seem out of it. I mean I know I have badass ninja moves but you were so deep in thought you didn’t even hear me come out here. Something bothering you?”

Melody gave him a smile. She loved how no matter what he always was looking out for her. But she didn’t even know what was wrong to explain. 

“No, just been busy and stressed. I’m so ready to relax and have fun this weekend.”

“I understand that.”

Landon lifted himself up out of the pool and laid out to dry. 

“So how is Scarlett?”

“Good I guess...long distance didn’t really work out. We are still on good terms but agreed a long distance relationship wasn’t working and to see other people.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“Yeah. I’m afraid to ask about you and Paxton?”

“We’re good...wish I saw him more...is it mean if I say I can’t wait for football to be over?”

She laughed.

“MELLY”

Melody looked towards the house and saw a little boy running towards her. She laughed at the way he said her name and opened her arms to wrap him in a hug. 

“Hey where’s my hug?”

Finn stepped out of his hug and ran over to Landon. Before he knew it he was flipped over and sitting on Landon’s shoulders. After saying her hellos she rushed to her room to get ready for dinner. When she came out of her room everyone was waiting for her, even Landon. 

“Took you long enough.”

She rolled her eyes at her brother and walked over to Riley. She smiled up at him and he leaned down to kiss her. They let Finn pick the place to eat and ended up at a hamburger joint. It was a diner similar to the one Melody used to work at. It made her miss her coworkers but not the actual work. They spent the meal playing with Finn and catching up with everyone. Expect for a certain topic. Melody loved spending time with Riley’s family and having Landon around really made things even better. She was happy. 

After dinner Melody hung out with Landon and Zoe until Riley got home from taking his mom and brother to their hotel. Melody told Landon he could stay in her room and she would stay in Riley’s room. She told everyone good night as they went to their rooms and followed an exhausted Riley into his room. She crawled into bed and cuddled up to Riley. He kissed her.

“Good night My Sweets.”

“Good night.”

He wrapped his arm around her and held her tight. Her body was on fire to his touch. She craved him. Without even thinking about it she started to wiggle up against him. She felt his hands grab her hips. She felt her core squeeze at his sudden movement. 

“Stop!”

“What?” Melody teased.

“Wiggling and moving like that.”

“Like this.”

She moved her hips. Knowing good and well what she was doing. She smiled at herself. She wanted him and she didn’t care that her brother was in the next room over. But to her surprise Riley pulled away.

“Mel I said stop.”

“What? Why?”

“I just...I’m tired. Go to sleep.”

Melody didn’t like the space he had created between them so she rolled over and laid on his chest. Before she knew what she was doing her hands were roaming over his abs. He grabbed them. 

“Mel I’m tired. If you’re not ready to go to sleep why don’t you go back out into the living room.”

Melody was shocked. It was like a slap in the face. Without a word she left his room. She wanted to slam the door but didn’t want to wake anyone else up. She laid on the couch and her mind raced. The more she thought about things the angrier she got. He was pulling away from her, she just knew it. He had barely touched her the past month. He still kissed her and hugged her. She knew he still loved her but she couldn’t stand how standoffish he was being. A rouge tear dripped from her eye before she rolled over and fell asleep on the couch.