Chapter 3

After slaughtering the only chicken they had ,they fed the soup and the fragrant parts to her. While they the head ,intestines, heart and feet. The fed the rest to the patient. The baby was being fed by the her second sister in law from her maternal home. She hasn't been awake all of this time. So they were cautious to give to drink in her drowsy state.

 The next day  ,his father in law Li Zhei said to him ",I am going to the port today ,see if I  can offload some things so that i can bring back some money to buy sugar and another chicken."

Ning Xiao Gua blushed in embarrassment ", Father in law ,i could go and work myself. You don't have to go, what if you get injured?", he asked anxiously.

Li Zhei laughed in amusement", I am still strong or do you underestimate me?", he asked with good humour. Xiao Gua flushed even more. He faced downwards.

"Thank you father in law. It is my fortune in this life to have such a kind father in law." then he bowed ninety degrees.

Li Zhei stood him up with an affectionate smile", It is rather my family's fortune to have such a filial son in law who dotes on his wife."

Soon he left. His grandmother had gone to the county to sell her embroidery to buy some clothes for the baby ,as he came two months earlier. Li Xining's brothers went with their father to the port to help their father in order to buy more food for her, while the other brother  went to the mountain to hunt for a pheasant and wild chickens if he can.. Her mother has gone to town to sell at her stall, so she can also buy stuff for her grandchild. In fact she was so spoiled everyone went to look for something in order for her and the baby to be comfortable. 

So Ning Xiao Gua cleaned the house, his wife liked cleanliness. He bathed and looked at the baby ,sleeping on the Kang next to his mother. Since he got married, he has  slept on the floor, but he does not mind. as long as he can see  her sleep.

While he was resting in the kitchen after warming up the congee ,he heard a loud voice scream.

",Ah Xining ,COME OUT HERE THIS INSTAENCE ", Xie Dong screamed ,his rosy cheek reddening. He heard rumors of how he and Xining want to elope now that she gave birth. That is ridiculous, he is married to his love now, Lu Mei. Of course ,what he doesn't know is that it was instigated by his lovely new bride. Lu Mei smirked when she saw the villagers peeking tehri heads and others blatantly coming to the yard to watch a good show. But showed a tearful expression.

",DongDong what if she really wanted me to leave you due to her givivng birth early, on my wedding day  What does she mean by this" ,she asked tearfully. And of course ,the idiot Xie Dong believed her.Pulling her by the waist he cleaned her tears.

",Don't worry ,i won't leave you for that kind of woman. She as no morals,married but busy after other man." He said.

Ning Xiao Gua stepped out and looked at them fiercely.

But she  woke up to a commotion of noise. Obviously the baby was lying next to her on the kang. And the baby was displeased. She sat up and pulled the baby softly with one foot and put him under her breast to latch and with mother's coaxing he fed naturally.

Little yi thought ' Mother's milk is the most delious ah'

She looked at the clever child. He was an ugly wrinkled thing ,she furrowed her brows. But as she watched the child latch and feed actively from her, her eyes softened.

",Hello little one. It appears God has favoured you and made me your mother. He made me a mother to you in this life to protect you from your mother's hatred for you". She said this cause she heard the owner's last words. To die with the child in the belly. Since she was planning to leave the child as soon as it was born.

What if the husband's demands the child from her and kicks her out. It was the agreement after all. More over she had endangered the child. She went to her ex-lover's house to cause a ruckus during a wedding.

She sighed. The previous owner was indeed troublesome. And Ning Xiao Gua was accepting of all the abuse. She sighed once again, such a gentleman forced to wear a green hat as his wife is constantly looking for her previous lover and following him around with a big belly.

When the child had fed enough she placed him against her shoulder and leaned against the wall on the kang and by and by she fell asleep due to tiredness. She was so preoccupied and tired, that she didn't notice the commotion outside after that.

Outside the house in the court yard, Lu Mei and Xie Dong the shameless people came to seek compensation for their wedding. Ning Xiao Gua was very angry.

"My wife wouldn't have gone there if it were not for the two of you. She trusteed you both and you broke her trust. She almost died and you are here demanding what now?", he hissed.

Truthfully he was a gentleman ,but his family was his bottom line. And no matter how much mischief Li Xining caused he never fought back not even verbally. Because he was ashamed of how he married her. She was the village belle . more beautiful all three villages combined. And he is poor and uneducated. How can he afford such a beauty . so he accepted it. Her faults, he turned a blind eye to them. But he would never allow people to insult her integrity in front of him.

Xie Dong stepped back a bit. His father is a scholar and his mother was taught by tutors in the capital ,in her distant cousin's house as she was paid to accompany her. Basically a child maid, but with more benefits. While Lu Mei was the daughter of the younger sister of the village chief Si Wei. Dressed in their slightly expensive silk ,and rosy skin they looked like nobles. But to real nobles, they are wearing what servants wear.

"It's not my fault ,you are so poor and haggard that your wife does not like you. I am simply too great. And do tell her I don't associate with used women." He smirked.

Xia Gua pursed his lips. It was the truth, but he cannot just stand and watch them insult her like this. She is his responsibility.

",She is my wife. Only I have the right to rebuke her and off which, I don't want to. So please LEAVE!". He was so angry and he was naturally big but usually showed the timid face to her and her family. In fact he can hardly raise his face to her father.

Xie Dong and Lu Mei were naturally frightened. The other villagers who came for the fun were surprised . he was usually gentle giant and all kids liked to be carried around by him, being the tallest at an astounding six foot two. And his wife at five foot two they had a foot of difference between them. The villagers stepped back.

Xie Dong though moving back still said ",I am not the one wearing a green hat . ".

The villagers looked at him waiting for he answer ,but they heard a soft rebuke say ",Please leave my house . My son is sleeping . Too noisy."

They turned to looked at Li Xining leaning against the door. Her face pale due to lack of blood. Ning Xia Gua was shocked ,he ran to her side. Though he was afraid to touch her, he was still worried about her health. He held her waist. He was expecting refusal ,to lose face ,to be slapped but nothing.

She looked at Xie Dong and Lu Mei and said ",Please leave ,you are disturbing the peace in my house". Her eyes tranquil without a single trace of emotion. No anger, hatred or love and loss or helpless ness,but calmness one has for a bothersome stranger.

Lu Mei said",I know that we betrayed you, but big brother Dongdong loves me and I am already pregnant. So you should give up on him. You are already used and dirty. Furthermore ,you have a child. And you are not loosening the reigned to only hold them tighter are you?", she asked sickly sweetly as though she cared about her but Li Xining is the unreasonable one.

Li Xining smiled softly ",I have no interest in you or him. Please leave me alone, we are no longer familiar with each other please call me Mrs Ning when you see me in the future. And also ,may we not speak when we come across each other, I don't want people to accuse me of finding you for revenge or your husband to reminisce. You came here today as though I want to separate you two. Please leave ,my son is sleepy. "then she took his hand and went inside the house and shut the door.

Everyone was left astounded. Did that really happen.