thirty seven

ATHENAS POV.

Dawn has been showing me around for the last hour and I've come to learn that this woman is an open book.

Like when she told me about how she got into the whole 'mob life',

-"Dawn?"

"Yeah Princess?"

"Please just call me Athena. I hate that title."

"Got it."

"Anyways, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get involved with the Italian mafia."

She laughed, "You know, your not the only person that has asked me that question."

Sighing lightly she started, "Like most of the people here, my home life growing up wasn't great. I had druggie parents and lived in a broken home most of my life. With no money, I depended on my education most of my life. Working hard for years, I graduated college at 19 with a degree in child psychology.

All was going good, I had found a well paying job in New York and left my parents and small hometown behind. Demitri approached me when I was 20, and when he first told me about being the underboss to the Italian mafia I threw a big ass book at his face."

"You did what?" Imagining it made me laugh so hard I was clutching my stomach.

"I hit him with a book." She laughed. "I thought I could get away from him with a distraction. So I threw the book and tried to run out of my office but he caught me and convinced me to listen.

He told me how the mafia was growing in members and he wanted me to join. It wasn't until he explained that I would be distracting and comforting children that I started considering it.

By that point, they've had multiple cases on where people who had to be 'taken care of' had kids that witnessed it. Your father decided they needed a team of child care professionals to help with this problem, and you brother was in charge of recruiting them.

It took a while, but eventually Demitri convinced me, but not for the money. I joined because I wanted to help the kids."-

I found it admirable how she joined the mafia not for the money, but because she loved to help kids.

And by the look in her eye when she talked about him, I'm also convinced she has a crush on my brother.

But they would be cute so I ship it.

Making it to our 'final stop' we arrived at the training room. Dawn turned to me with a smile and pushed the door open,

"Welcome to the training room."

Anything she said after that was blocked out, I was too busy gawking over the huge room to pay attention to anything else.

It was split into two sections, the left side was designed for weapons practice. There were targets, sparing mats, a wall full of guns, knives, and etc., and in the far back there was a gun range surrounded by sound proof glass. The right side was for hand to hand combat practice and exercise. There was a boxing rink right in the middle, punching bags and exercise machines lined the walls, and on the open floor were sparing mats.