Chapter 3: Melody meets Soundwave

"I swear Melody! You need to be more careful with your equipment and to watch your health!" Ronda, the head of the nurse's station, scolded. Melody quietly sighed and boredly but tiredly rolled her eyes in a way that said that she could care less. Her eyes landed on Ronda's pet miniature octopus in a tank that's not too far away from where she was sitting on the medical bed.

Little Ronald Reagan, the octopus, was happily swimming in his tank enjoying his master scolding her latest patient, AKA Melody, when he noticed that she was staring at him in order to distract herself from his master's wrath. So, in order for his enjoyment to continue, he went inside his little hiding rock so that Melody couldn't watch him and be distracted from her daily dose of scolding from his master.

'Why you little prick...' thought Melody when she saw Ron hide away from her. Ronda noticed her glaring daggers at the tank and inwardly smirked at her pet. 'You little sadist....' she thought. So, in order to give herself a good time, she silently grabbed one of her brown paper bags, blew it up till it was full, then popped it right beside Melody's ear.

Melody jumped at least three feet in the air at the sound. She would've screamed if she wasn't mostly mute. When she finally settled down, she saw what caused the noise and glared hard at Ronda. Ronda grinned like a sly cat and raised a brow when she faintly heard Melody growl.

"Hey, don't take that tone with me missy! If you were listening to me then this wouldn't have happened. Don't rely on my Ronald for your personal distraction from when I'm scolding you!"

Melody glared at her harder and signed in ASL: 'I wouldn't have to use him as my distraction if you would stop scolding me like I'm a child! And what was with the paper bag?! That was highly unnecessary!'

Ronda's smirk only grew. "I know. It was just to teach you a lesson. And I like to see people scared or squirm when it comes to dishing out my lessons~."

Melody only narrowed her eyes and signed: 'Both you AND your pet are severely messed up sadists!!!!' Ronda laughed and replied, "You can call us sadists, but I prefer the term "educationally aware" of those who leave open a good opportunity to mess with someone. And unfortunately my dear, today you're one of those people." Ronda thought on this further and asked, "Which is, in your case, is unusual. You're usually more aware of your surroundings. And I noticed that you've lost a bit of weight as of recent. You look a bit pale as well. Either you're not taking me seriously when I tell you to take breaks during work hours or something's wrong. Is everything alright at home? Your brother didn't go into another episode I hope?"

Melody smiled solemnly and shook her head 'no' and signed: 'Everything is alright. At least for now.'

It took everything in Melody's power to not break down here and there in front of Ronda. She didn't want to pile on more problems for her to take care of. It was already hard enough for her to take care of the people here but for her to also take care of her young orphaned niece and nephew as well.

Ever since Ronda's sister died from cancer and her no good brother-in-law decided to ditch town, she's had the responsibility of taking care of their children by herself. Melody and the other staff can't help but admire her for her self sacrifice and love for the kids. Especially Sharona, and it's for that reason alone that Sharona looks up to her and that she gave her the job of being the head doctor of the center. And ever since she was hired, Ronda has made it her mission to take care of every single patient that comes into her ward. And when Ronda heard of what happened to Melody and her family, she took it upon herself to be one of their many doctors, who'll work for free I might add, to help provide any assistance that will help improve their situation as far as health goes.