prologue

prologue——camp half-blood

aren't you just a ray of sunshine? 

   •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

ALASKA ALWAYS HAD AN INNATE TALENT FOR READING ROOMS. She could sense how others were feeling in her senses, such as smells, tastes, and colors seeming to radiate off of others.

It had surprised her a little when it first happened, but she assumed it was because of her recent exploration of witchcraft.

When she told her dad about the new vivid colors swirling throughout the air and the smell of freshly baked brownies all around the house—even though there was nothing baking—his usual warmth seemed to dim a little.

He seemed to become more distant and worried and even if she couldn't see what he felt, she would still be able to feel the sense of a storm coming.

It was the nervous feeling before going out to sea, sensing a shipwreck would be coming, although what would be coming would be much worse than a shipwreck.

𐐪𐑂

"SO WE'RE NOT GOING ON OUR CAMPING TRIP?" Alaska asked, a small pout forming in her lips.

Her dad was driving and tapping his hand along the wheel in tune with Queen's Don't Stop Me Now but Alaska could still tell he was worried, the deep crinkles residing in between his brows and decorating his forehead giving him away.

"No, this is the summer camp I was telling you about," he said. "You'll learn a lot of things there and meet a bunch of new friends."

"Like summer school?" she asked with a tinge of disappointment.

She was great at the electives part of school, especially in the art department, but when it came to the general education subjects, she struggled quite a lot.

"Not exactly. You'll be learning more hands-on activities; they have a lake for canoeing, strawberry fields, horse stables, archery, and a lot more. You'll have fun, I promise."

"You promise?"

He nodded and smiled at his daughter, causing her to smile in reciprocation.

"And what if I don't?"

"Well you definitely won't with that attitude," he said with a chuckle.

Alaska scoffed playfully and was about to retort when her dad turned the music up and tapped harder on the wheel.

"Don't stop me, don't stop me," he sang along. She giggled before joining in. "Don't stop me. Hey, hey, hey."