⁰⁹the chosen one or whatever

chapter nine!
two months before

❝ living in constant danger is our true calling 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

THE FIRST TIME ALASKA FELT A TRUE CONNECTION TO THE GODS was when Luke excused her from being his partner at their sword fighting lesson. It was a blessing from the gods themselves that she and Ethan paired up while Luke volunteered Percy to duel with him.

She felt bad for Percy since he had barely entered puberty whereas Luke was a full-grown person with loads of sword fighting experience.

"Good luck," she said to a nervous-looking Percy. She had seen him practicing before and he looked awkward with the sword—none of the swords seemed balanced properly for him and it showed.

"Yeah, Luke's the best swordsman in the last three hundred years," Ethan added.

"Maybe he'll go easy on me," Percy said.

Ethan snorted from beside her and Alaska elbowed him lightly in the side.

Sword fighting lessons that day went smoother than before and Alaska didn't get out of practice feeling like she had been wrapped up in a thick blanket and thrown down Half-Blood Hill.

The next day, Alaska was sitting on the grass with Ethan and Lee during their free time and she was making friendship bracelets, Ethan was reading something, and Lee was playing around with his lyre, attracting the attention of some of the nymphs nearby.

She felt truly normal at that moment. They were just teenagers attending summer camp, doing regular summer camp activities. She liked the feeling.

"You know the new camper, right?" Alaska asked.

"Percy?" Lee asked, not looking up from playing.

Alaska hummed in confirmation. "He beat Luke yesterday at sword fighting."

Lee looked up. He raised his eyebrows, silently asking "Seriously?" and Alaska nodded in response.

"So, maybe he's a son of Ares?" he suggested.

"No way," Ethan said with a snort. "He beat him once out of the multiple times they dueled. It was probably just beginner's luck."

Alaska said, "Yeah. Plus that would suck if he was, Clarisse already hates him."

"Who doesn't Clarisse hate?" Ethan asked.

Alaska shrugged. "True, but after the incident with the toilet ... let's just say, if he's an Ares kid, he's gonna need protection in his own cabin."