⁰⁴water fights are battles for true men

chapter four!
one day before

❝ I didn't ask to be attacked like this 

   •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

ALASKA DABBED HER SMALL PAINTBRUSH onto her camp tee shirt, capturing the sunlight glaring off the lake, and smiled proudly at her finished product. She peeked over at what Lee was drawing in his small notebook but he pulled it away from her view and she groaned dramatically.

"Why can you see what I'm painting, but I can't see what you're drawing?" she complained.

He shrugged and smiled boyishly but didn't look up from his book. "It's a surprise."

"Are you drawing me?"

"Yup," he answered and looked up at her; she stuck her tongue out before returning to her own painting of camp on the back of her camp shirt. He liked sketching other campers in his free time (with their knowledge, of course) and giving it to them as small gifts.

"I'm truly flattered," she said, dipping her brush into her small cup of water and wiping it off onto her leg carelessly.

He hummed and tapped his pencil aggressively on the paper. "It's so pretty out here."

"Why don't demigods just become, like, nomadic, forest people?" Alaska asked. "We already can't use technology since it attracts monsters and we pretty much stay in isolation from others so that they don't find out our big secret."

"I think you're thinking about the hunters of Artemis," he said.

She shrugged and fanned the paint to make it dry. "I'm not good enough of a hunter to join the hunters of Artemis."

"You're not too bad with a bow and arrow."

"Right, but I need at least, like, a minute to prepare before firing," she said. "Plus, I don't think I could be immortal―that would be so boring. I wish I were a nymph."

"Nymphs live pretty long, too," Lee said.

"You think if we make it to Elysium and we go for rebirth, can we be reborn as animals? Or do we have to be human again?"

Lee shrugged. "I'm not sure, I've never been through it."

"You could've."

"Well I don't remember it," he said.

"Fair enough. I think by the rate I'm living, I'm only going to make it to the Fields of Asphodel," Alaska said.

"You're a good person. You help everyone around camp with their ... problems, and you're nice to everyone."

"Nice is just nice. Heroic gets you into Elysium," she said. 

"So much talk about death," Lee said with a chuckle. "Are you still avoiding Luke?"