⁰⁵the stolls under the bridge

chapter five!
four hours before

❝ who are we to get in the way of the course of true love? 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

"HOW THE HELL ARE WE GONNA SNEAK OUT?" Alaska asked in a low voice as the group was walking back to their cabins after the campfire.

"Keep it down," Luke whispered back.

"This is down."

He waved his hand dismissively. "I have a plan," he said as he looked around to make sure no one was close enough to hear them. "We wait maybe half an hour or so to make sure everyone is asleep or at least pretty tired, then we'll go out the bathroom window."

"The bathroom window?" Alaska repeated. "Is that gonna work?"

"It'll have to. I'll go into the bathroom first, close the door and turn on the light and everything, then I'll turn off the light and open the door, making it look like I'm going back to sleep when I'm actually going out. Then a minute or so after, you do the same."

"Great, yeah," Alaska said. "Cool, okay, that's great."

"You good?"

"Yeah, just nervous."

He chuckled and lazily threw an arm over her shoulder. "It'll be fine."

"And if it's not?"

"Then we'll be punished, but you'll be shipped off to college in, like, two days. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Yeah," she said, reassuring herself. "Yeah, this will work."

"It will, don't worry."

"What about a backup plan though? Or—Or an alibi in case we get caught?"

"Stop worrying about this so much," he said. "We'll sneak out easily and then go to your friend's party in Baltimore and forget about being demigods and we'll just be normal teenagers for one night."

She nodded, pursing her lips into a small grin and looking up at Luke, who returned a reassuring smile.

Her nerves—which she had ever since Luke even proposed the idea of sneaking out—dramatically worsened during the half-hour they had before going to bed. The Stolls were blabbering about something that she couldn't focus on, but it's not like they expected her to contribute to the conversation either—they just seemed to want her to listen.