¹²the edge of the world

chapter twelve!
one and three-quarters months before

❝ maybe I'm just going insane 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

"YOU'RE THE DAUGHTER OF APHRODITE, I'm sure it'll all work out for you," Alaska reassured with a smile.

"Thanks," Florence said, reciprocating the smile. Her orange aura—soft and warm like the sunset—radiated around her like a calm fireplace, warming everything around her. "I know I'm being overdramatic, but I just need someone to keep me from going insane thinking about all this stuff."

Florence was the counselor of the Aphrodite cabin during the summer and returned to college during the school year, but after this summer, she would be living in the mortal world year-round.

"Mortal boys are so difficult," she said with a heavy sigh. "Gods, why do I have to have a crush on him, of all people?"

"I hear you," Alaska said.

Florence nudged her on the shoulder. "You're lucky you've had a demigod boy in love with you since you were like fifteen."

"Who?" Alaska asked, her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at Florence in curiosity.

"Oh come on, don't be dumb," she said.

"Au contraire, I don't think I am being dumb."

"You are though," she said bluntly to which Alaska scoffed, feigning offense. "I mean, you guys have known each other since you were like fourteen, you were each other's first kisses, he always wants to train with you even though you suck ass at sword fighting; what else?"

"Oh," Alaska said dramatically. "You're talking about Luke."

Florence looked at her as if she were dumb—more so than she had been. "Yes, I'm obviously talking about Luke. Who else?"

"I dunno, you just said demigod boy. Half the camp is filled with those."

"Yeah, but you had to know exactly who I was talking about."

Alaska only shrugged with a small smile.

A rumble of thunder and flash of thunder passed by the otherwise clear sky, none of the campers reacting or finding it strange at all. The weather had been off recently, and although no one would say it aloud, it was because Zeus was being pissy. Not a surprise.

"How are you and Luke anyways?"

"I don't know," Alaska sighed. "It's been weird between us recently."

"You guys will figure it out," she said. "I remember when you guys were first becoming good friends; you two were so chaotic. It was like Castellan and Rhodes against the world."

"Yeah," Alaska said, a little somber. The "weird" thing between them as of recently was the fact that Luke was possessed and whoever possessed him also brought her back to life, but she couldn't tell anyone that.