¹⁴luke the vodka connoisseur

chapter fourteen!
one month before

❝ you, luke, are quite the enigma 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

"SO, AS IT TURNS OUT, THE CAT WAS A DEMON AND BURNED OUR ENTIRE DORM DOWN," one of the older Ares kids said.

"What did I tell you?" her twin brother said, rolling his eyes in disdain and taking another sip from his cup.

"It was a cat! I didn't know how much could go wrong," she said. 

"It was a stray—you already shouldn't have taken it in."

"Well, excuse me, Damon, for being a kind person and taking in a stray. It was raining heavily outside and it looked sad."

Damon rolled his eyes yet again. Most of the older campers were sharing a bigger blanket and had divided themselves into small groups, Lee, Florence, and Alaska joining in a conversation with the first group they found.

The two children of Ares started ignoring those around them and instead focused on their argument in typical Ares fashion.

"It was sunny the next day, Phoebe," he said. "I told you to take it to a shelter. And what did you do? Hide it in your bathroom and let it set the dorm on fire."

"I left it alone for one second!" Phoebe said defensively.

"This is why we can't have nice things!"

"This is why we can't have nice things," she said, mocking him and pretending to gag at the end.

"You're so annoying."

"You're so annoying," she said. "See, this is exactly why dad left!"

"Um, no, that's incorrect," Damon said, the two calming down. "He didn't even stick around long enough to get to know us."

"Yeah, you right."

"Should we leave them alone?" Lee asked quietly to Florence and Alaska. The arguing twins probably wouldn't have heard them anyway.

"I'm not even sure," Florence said. "It's kind of entertaining—I mean, not their daddy issues, but at the same time, that's pretty entertaining too."

"Half the camp has daddy issues," Alaska said.

"That is true," Lee said. "Maybe camp should have therapy; I should suggest that."

Florence nudged Alaska lightly in the shoulder. "Why get a legitimate therapist when we have a mind reader that'll do it for free?"

"I'm not a mind reader," Alaska said. "But some therapy would be nice. Ooh, and maybe someone that analyzes dreams and prophecies and stuff."

Lee nodded in agreement, but Florence scoffed and shook her head, the two looking at Florence in confusion at her disagreement.

"No, now that's just asking for too much," she said. "We need to make sure we put the weight of the world on prepubescent teens."