¹⁵don't make promises you can't keep

chapter fifteen!
two days before

❝ couldn't I at least get a job giving handjobs at a well-run establishment? 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

LUKE HAD BEEN ACTING KIND OF WEIRD RECENTLY, but Alaska didn't mention it—well, she did once to which he dismissed it as quickly as she had brought it up and said he was fine. She didn't bring it up anymore after that. If something upsetting had happened, she didn't want to keep mentioning it and making him feel bad about it.

"It's so hot outside," Alaska complained, fanning herself.

"You know that doesn't really help," Ethan said, pointing to her fanning. "Plus it's summer, of course it's gonna be hot."

She continued to fan herself, ignoring his statement, and wiped the thin layer of sweat off her forehead.

"I'm going back to the cabin; I'm gonna change into shorts," she said.

"I'm just gonna stick to splashing water on my face," he said.

She nodded, saying, "I'll be back soon," over her shoulder as she quickly made her way to the cabin.

When she got there, she made her way to her sleeping bag where she stored her stuff when she saw Luke in his bunk with a backpack where he was packing his clothes and a few personal items.

Once he noticed she was there, he immediately snapped up and sat on his bunk, pushing the bag behind him in hopes that she wouldn't see it, but he was too late.

"What is that?" she asked.

He hesitated and ran a hand through his hair. "It's just some of my stuff," he answered vaguely.

"Yeah ... but what are you packing for?" she said. "Are you leaving camp?"

"Yeah," he sighed and she frowned.

"Why?"

"I have to get out of here," he said.

"What's wrong with staying here? Everyone you love is here."

"It's just—it's suffocating here," he said with a tired sigh.

"Suffocating?" she repeated.

She didn't exactly know what he meant, but she could tell he wasn't doing as well as he used to, she just didn't think it was from camp. He looked tired all the time; not like he used to.

"I—I don't know how to explain it. But I'm an adult now, and I need to move on. I'll be fine," he reassured, noticing her gradually increasing worry. "I'll find some way to live out in the mortal world and get a job or something."

"Oh. Are you coming back next summer or leaving forever?"

He hesitated, looking down at where he was fidgeting with his hands. "Forever. We'll still keep in touch and stuff though," he said. "We'll figure it out."