⁰⁸this is what happens when you come back to life

chapter eight!
two months before

❝ I'll sleep when I'm dead 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

ALASKA RHODES FELT LIKE A GHOST. Although she was alive—peculiarly so—she felt like a ghost, from the way the other campers looked at her as if she was one to the way she felt when she was walking, as if she were floating. She understood why they were all staring; if she saw someone she thought was dead walking around, she would be pretty freaked out.

At least she blended in pretty well; when she was placed back on Earth, she had returned to the clothes she was wearing the night of her death, albeit they weren't ripped up and bloody. It wasn't her familiar orange Camp Half-Blood shirt, but it was a lot better than wearing her Elysium robe.

She had just talked to Chiron and Mr. D; they were both shocked about her re-arrival and after much questioning, the three couldn't think of who would resurrect her, so they dropped it and sent her back to the cabins.

Ignoring the stares of the campers, she watched as the cabins were idling around, waiting for the conch shell to blow. She was met with a lot of familiar faces, some of whom gave her small waves (with shocked looks on their faces), but the first person to come up to her was Annabeth.

Annabeth ran up to her, a little warily, but when she realized Alaska was real, she hugged her and Alaska tightly hugged her back, almost breaking out into tears.

"Too tight," Annabeth said in a strained whisper.

"Sorry," Alaska said with a giggle.

"How—What—But—What?" she asked. She looked like she might cry as well.

Alaska sighed, not really sure how to explain what happened. "Do you still remember the prophecy I got last year?"

Annabeth nodded eagerly.

"I think the death line was about me, not my mom," she said. "Somehow ... I came back to life. I'm not exactly sure how or why, but some food would sure be nice."

"What was the Underworld like?" Annabeth asked curiously. "Did you make it to Elysium?"

A small smile played on Alaska's lips. "I did," she said. "It's nice—very pretty, but I would much rather be here."

"Yeah, I'm much happier to have you here, too," said Annabeth. "But—how?"

Alaska shrugged. "I was trying for rebirth, and then apparently there was a problem and I met with Lord Hades and I was brought back here. I woke up in my bed at home ... and yeah, that's all I know about it."