¹⁷join the dark side, we have parental issues

chapter seventeen!
one day after 

❝ it'll always be you and me. dream team, baby 

  •°. ·     • ·          ☆·  
     ·✦.☆ ★    .  °°   ✷* ••  
  °     ✵    ·   ·       .*   
     · .  •     ✵ ✧•°✸°° ☆• *°
 ☆.°· . •      .✵°·· ✸° ✯•    
  •          *°•   *    ° ✦   
•. ✦.       *°  ☆*       ** ✸ 
    .* ✷*  °     •   °°* •    
        •   ☆ .  .·•* . ✸     
 ·        ✶    •    ✵*     * 

EVEN THOUGH SHE KNEW SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE followed the instructions left on a random piece of paper tucked in between the bed and its wooden supports, she still did.

Alaska had a bad feeling about it, but if it was from who she thought it was, then she was definitely going to go. She needed clarity and closure on everything.

The only campers left were her, Clarisse, and a few others, making it pretty easy for her to leave during free time. Clarisse was busy slashing at dummies and the others were friends—since they always stayed year-round, they were familiar with each other and knew each other well.

And so, during free time, Alaska made her way to the creek.

No one was there and she waited for about five minutes before sighing. She was about to turn back for camp when cold air filled the air, causing her to shiver and the smell of blood filled the air.

Turning back around, she saw Luke, Backbiter in hand, standing by the creek. Neither of them spoke—just standing there and observing the other. The smell of blood dissipated and his aura was that of regular Luke's.

"I knew it was you," Alaska said disdainfully, breaking the silence.

"So why'd you come?"

She bit the inside of her cheek and stayed silent, ignoring his statement. "Why'd you ask me to meet you here? Do you plan on throwing a venomous scorpion at me, too?"

"I just want to talk."

"What are you even doing here? How are you even here?" she asked. "If Chiron, or the gods, or anyone finds you here—"

"They won't," he said. "I'm just here to talk, and then I'll be gone."

"So talk."

He hesitated for a bit and looked at her with pleading eyes. "I want you to come with me," he said softly.

"I'm sure you do," she said with an eye roll, but his saddened, begging expression didn't falter. "What? You want me to join your quest in destroying the world. Was this a request from Kronos?"

The air became cold again and even Luke looked slightly frightened.

"Names have meaning," he said. "They can't just be tossed around."

"Fine. So ... your lord or master or whatever wanted you to sway me to join you and your army of monsters?"

"I'm asking you as Luke," he said. She felt bad for speaking at him so bitterly while he still spoke to her so softly. "The gods don't do shit for us and we can make a change; no more children getting abandoned and forgotten."