Chapter 26 - Detached

Warning: Not exactly a warning. This chapter is not that heavy. You know what to expect. No more 🎢, no more ☄, and definitely no 🍋.

It had been six months since the NIS had told Se Ri she was no longer a suspect in the murder of her ex-husband, Cho Cheol Gang. Six months since the NIS told Jeong Hyeok that he was the subject of pictures that Se Ri was being blackmailed for and had subsequently withheld from him. Six months since the major fight in her office where Jeong Hyeok confronted her about the pictures and then broke up with her. Walking out of her office and out of her life. Yoon Se Ri was not the same woman today that she was six months ago, she was pretty sure Jeong Hyeok wouldn't recognize her now if he saw her.

Where she once walked tall and proud, commanding the room when she walked in. She now barely left her apartment and hardly went into the office. Her time alone had provided an opportunity for reflection, and she realized she needed to make some drastic changes in her life. Her career and reputation had dictated her life, skewing her basis of reality and causing her to hide truths for fear of the repercussions. Now the job she once loved, repulsed her. Her heart wasn't in it, and she lacked the drive and determination to move forward as she had been doing for the previous ten plus years. Where she once loved the creative process of designing a building and watching it come alive, she no longer had a desire to go after large projects and design them herself. Instead, she left that to the members of her team.

Her depression was deep enough that she even wrestled with the idea of closing the company completely. She figured with her connections she could help the staff land new positions, but overall Yoon Design Group would close their doors, never to reopen. While her remaining family would no doubt be disappointed, it wasn't as if they were involved in the business. Heck, they hardly spoke to her anyway, so she wasn't that concerned with what they thought about her.

However, Seo Dan hated the idea and was not quiet with her opinion. She told Se Ri that if she were to shut down the company, she would regret it within weeks of doing so. Instead, she encouraged her to look for an Executive Vice President or General Manager to run the business operations. Making the case that this would allow Se Ri to step away but keep the company running. It would also enable Se Ri to have someplace to come back to when the pain had healed, and work became a sanctuary again.

After some contemplation, she agreed with Seo Dan's recommendation. It was a better idea, and at least keeping the company running would provide her income. She immediately reached out to a local agency to initiate a nationwide search for the perfect person to compliment the company, helping it to continue on its path to prosperity. After countless interviews, she found the perfect fit with Park Ji Eun. She was a high-powered executive. Park Ji Eun had worked at the same firm for years but was looking for a new challenge. She liked what she saw with Yoon Design and had a tremendous amount of respect for Yoon Se Ri. Park Ji Eun felt like this was a dream opportunity falling into her lap.

Park Ji Eun had been on the job for three months when Se Ri decided to step away. She gave up her office, allowing Park Ji Eun to have the city view and the large windows. In reality, Se Ri wanted to move due to the memories the office held. It had become increasingly difficult to work in the room, and she continually looked for solitude in small conference rooms to avoid being in her office. Se Ri relocated to a smaller office adjacent to her current location. This allowed her to maintain access to Myeong Sun, as she was not willing to completely part with her trusted executive assistant.

Se Ri had not only made changes in the office, but she made changes at the apartment as well. She had, at one point, thought about putting the apartment up for sale. Once again, Seo Dan stepped in and told her to rethink the decision. She told her that she was making too many life-changing decisions at once, it would cause her to have a mental breakdown if she wasn't careful. Se Ri took heed, electing to stay but was adamant that the apartment had some renovations for her to stay. To this, Seo Dan could agree.