Chapter 15: A Memory

July 2015

"What the fuck is this Anna?" Elsa asked her sister. "Is this...true?"

Tears were coming to her eyes. If the article was true, then that would mean she was the most hated person in Arendelle as well as the horrific serial killer in Arendellian history. That would explain everything; why Anna thought she was faking her brain damage, why Jack left her and why her children hated her.

"Yeah, it's true," Anna sighed. "Look, I didn't know how to tell you."

"Anna, how could I have done these things?" more tears were streaming down her face. "How could I be this person?"

"Trust me, I wanted to know the answer to that too," Anna said. "Look, before your attack, you were a different person, you had this...evil attached to you. That is the only way I know how to describe it. Then you were attacked and suffered brain damage. That caused you to forget and become a different person, a person who wasn't a monster, wasn't someone who killed for fun."

"Killed for fun?" Elsa shrieked. "Fucking hell, I was that kind of person? A sick person?"

"Look Elsa," Anna took her hand. "The fact that you are reacting like this means that you are no longer that person. That side is gone."

"Is it though?" more tears came flooding down her face. "Anna, what if that all comes back to me? What if that side isn't gone?"

"Well, you just have to promise that the second you start feeling like that again, you tell me, okay?"

Elsa nodded. "I promise."

January 2016

Anna and Elsa were sitting in court in front of a panel of judges. In the last six months, Anna had filed for a motion for Elsa's sentence to be changed to home detention. She was arguing that the person they had locked up had died in the attack. Several expert witnesses including Dr Banke had testified to this fact. They had all been in agreement – the brain damage to Elsa was enough to alter her personality in a significant way that it meant that the evil part of her was gone and wasn't coming back.

Not everyone was thrilled with the news of this. Many people didn't believe Elsa's brain damage story and others just wanted her to stay locked up for her crimes. In the six months, Elsa had been kept in an isolated cell in prison to protect her from the other inmates. They still hadn't caught who had done it but Anna did know that some guards got fired as they were suspected of being involved.

Anna was looking at the panel of judges. They had been debating for days and days on this case. The experts had been called at least three different times and had subjected Elsa to a series of tests. They all just kept saying the same thing. However, Anna knew that they were facing a lot of pressure from the public. The case was very public and everyone had an opinion on what they should do.

"I don't see why we are bothering," Elsa muttered to her sister. "I mean, it's not like they are going to set me free. You saw the mob outside. They all want my head."

"Well, they're not going to," Anna replied. "If they listen to the science, they will realise that you are no longer the person that you used to be."

"We have made our decision," one of the judges – the one sitting in the middle – said. "Elsa Winters, please rise." Elsa did so, trembling slightly. "We have reviewed the medical evidence presented here today as well as the character testimony from your family. We have decided to change your sentence. You will no longer be in prison but instead, you will be on home detention."