Chapter 18: Unsupervised Visitation

January 2016

Elsa watched Bunnymund who was giving Dr Ibsen a funny look. Thoughts were racing through her own mind. Could Bunnymund's father – a man she used to know very well – do something like this? Did he purposely hide a crime and tried to pin it on the Arendelle Ripper? To pin it onto her?

"No," Bunnymund said after several long minutes, a weird smile coming over his face, "my father would never bury evidence on purpose. He was the Chief of Police for many years. His integrity is beyond question. To say such a thing...it is simply not true!"

"I am afraid but Mr Ashwood did ask Chief Bunnymund if he wouldn't mind passing along the message," Dr Ibsen said. "Look, I didn't like it as much as you did but, in those days, we listened to whatever the police told us to do."

"This isn't true," Bunnymund leapt to his feet, anger emanating from him. "Look, my father isn't involved in this. What you are saying is that my father hid a crime – that is something he would never do." Bunnymund jabbed a finger at Elsa, who wanted to disappear again.

"She, she, is your killer. Elsa Winters. She murdered that poor little girl and now you are trying to blame my father. Who is more likely? A cold-hearted killer who took enjoyment out of making people suffer or the man who dedicated his life to try and make Arendelle a safer place?" Bunnymund kept jabbing his finger at Elsa. She didn't like the anger in his eyes. "She is your killer. She murdered that girl. She is probably the evillest person to ever come into Arendelle. You saw what she did to her victims. You worked on those cases. You, yourself told me that only someone truly evil was capable of these kinds of acts. So, that's all you need to know."

Bunnymund left the room and slammed the door behind him. Elsa couldn't help but feel hurt for what he had said. Tears started to appear in her eyes but she quickly rubbed them away. The thing that hurt her the most was that he had been right – she was an evil person. What she had done to those poor people proved it. The flashes in her mind proved it as well. However, she wasn't that person anymore. At least, she liked to think she wasn't.

Anna looked over at her, clasping her hand as she did.

"You okay?" she asked and Elsa shook her head.

"Think I might go get some air," she whispered.

As she walked outside, she found Bunnymund smoking a cigarette. A sudden thought had her thinking that maybe she should run for the hills but Bunnymund saw her.

"I thought you'd quit," she asked, approaching him – there was no chance to turn around now. She had to face him.

"I had," Bunnymund shrugged before offering her one. "You want one?"

"Yeah, why not," Elsa took one and lit it. "I didn't know I was a smoker but I keep getting the craves, you know?"

"Preaching to the choir," Bunnymund exhaled some smoke and looked over at Elsa. "Look, I am sorry for what I said in there. You're not a monster."

"Oh, but I am," Elsa said, a sad smile eclipsing her features. "Bunny, I've read the case reports, I saw the crime scene photos. I am a horrific monster – brain damage or not – nothing changes that."

"The interview I did with you – it made me see a completely different side of you," Bunnymund looked sad at the memory. "It was really difficult seeing you like that. I didn't know what to think then and I don't know what to think now. I guess it was just easier to put you out of my mind – out of everyone's mind."

"Then I got attacked," Elsa paused as she took a deep drag from her cigarette. "You know, I still don't remember what happened that day. I doubt I ever will."